• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sibelius: Karelia Suite

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius: Karelia Suite

Hello dear friends,

I have uploaded a new recording: Sibelius' Karelia Suite.

This recording was commissioned for the documentary film "Fledglings" in 2017. I did now a few more edits, and here it is:

https://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp...ite-op-11-1893

All done with GPO-5.

Reinhold

Re: Sibelius: Karelia Suite

Dear Reinhold,
    this is just fantastic!! The Karelia Suite and the ending of the 2nd symphony always have been my favourite works by Sibelius (especially II.Ballade, second part). The way you recorded this is just fantastic!! How many hours about did it take you to work on this second movement?

I also heard your Largo from Dvorak's 9th - awesome!! Did you do this also with GPO ?

Gerd

Quote Originally Posted by gprengel View Post
    Dear Reinhold,
    this is just fantastic!! The Karelia Suite and the ending of the 2nd symphony always have been my favourite works by Sibelius (especially II.Ballade, second part). The way you recorded this is just fantastic!! How many hours about did it take you to work on this second movement?

I also heard your Largo from Dvorak's 9th - awesome!! Did you do this also with GPO ?

Gerd

Dear Gerd,

thank you for your feedback! I am glad that you like the recording. I have also plans to do the whole 2nd Symphony, which is among my favorites since many years.

It took me about 4 weeks to complete all three movements, during spare time besides a full-time job. So this was done in the evenings. I estimate the Ballade took about 30 hours to record. But the work is never done... I keep adjusting and fine-tuning things forever...

Great that you also like the Largo. Yes, this was also GPO. Is quite a powerful library, I find.

Cheers,
    Reinhold

Reinhold,

You are a master when it comes to bringing alive a virtual orchestra.
    Sibelius is one of my favorite composers and I especially like
    the third movement of this suite.

Can you tell me which tools you are using to create these beauties?

~ Yudit ~

Hello Reinhold,

First of all, you made the choice to do this? It is so perfect for GPO5, with the strength of brass and winds.... But, not one of us could do what you are capable of. It is absolute perfection. Since I imagine that you listen to this several times, and, as we agreed of the dangers in this: "you can not help getting use to what you hear", in the Ballade, at the beginning, the dbase pizzicatos are a bit too loud for my ears.
    When I am in trouble to convey to you how I admire your work, this suggestion for a small change seems contradictory, but I think you'll understand my HUMBLEST suggestion....
    Thanks for letting us hear this

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    Reinhold,

You are a master when it comes to bringing alive a virtual orchestra.
    Sibelius is one of my favorite composers and I especially like
    the third movement of this suite.

Can you tell me which tools you are using to create these beauties?

~ Yudit ~

Dear Yudit,

I am very glad that you like the recording - thank you for your positive feedback!
    I am just using GPO samples. For sequencing I use Cakewalk Sonar X1 Producer. I record each track mostly in live play, but at half the tempo. The expression I add live with a mod wheel, to create crescendo and diminuendo. The tempi I create with drawing a tempo curve. Is a lot of try-and-error, until it feels about right.

No other tools are used.
    I also take care about the overall setup, before I start recording the music: the spatial arrangement of instruments so as to fill the whole space left to right, and also adjusting the relative volume of each instrument or instrument group by setting the track volume.

Cheers,
    Reinhold

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Hello Reinhold,

First of all, you made the choice to do this? It is so perfect for GPO5, with the strength of brass and winds.... But, not one of us could do what you are capable of. It is absolute perfection. Since I imagine that you listen to this several times, and, as we agreed of the dangers in this: "you can not help getting use to what you hear", in the Ballade, at the beginning, the dbase pizzicatos are a bit too loud for my ears.
    When I am in trouble to convey to you how I admire your work, this suggestion for a small change seems contradictory, but I think you'll understand my HUMBLEST suggestion.
    Thanks for letting us hear this

Ted

Dear Ted,

I am very glad that you like this recording. This music was for a long time on my list of to-dos, but it was the film producer James Girling who wanted a recording for his documentary film "Fledglings", which then prompted me to work on this last year.

Thank you for pointing out the loud pizzicato! Yes, I often get used to some imbalances and then I do not perceive them anymore as negative. That is why it is great when "fresh ears" listen to this. I have now already adjusted this, the new version of the Ballade is online. Let me know if this is better now.

Many greetings and best wishes,
    Reinhold

Perfect now!

Ted

What can I say, but totally excellent!!!

Reinhold,

I remember you posting a portion of this work awhile back. Now we have rest to enjoy. You’re quite a master with getting the most out of GPO. It’s not only the quality of the tools but more so the craftsmanship and care of person using them that creates a enjoyable musical experience.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast