• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Topic: Refuge

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    3,168

    Refuge Ver 2 (9/15/18)

    Here's an updated version of this piece. I have switched the original two sections (kind of an original Mark"angelonyc" suggestion) and I have added a third section. Hopefully it has more cohesion. I also did some pan editing on the second section.

    Refuge




    Phil
    Last edited by fastlane; 09-15-2018 at 05:17 PM. Reason: New version

  2. #2

    Re: Refuge

    Phil,

    It was a good decision of yours to combine
    these two completely different moods into one piece.

    The first dark and sinister part was well-thought-of
    and created just the right atmosphere.
    The toll of the bell signaled it getting away and disappearing...

    Then the light could step in and fill in its place
    the calm simplicity of the refuge.

    Well done!


    ~ Yudit ~

  3. #3

    Re: Refuge

    Be warned, friends, Fastlane is doing it again. And with great taste of full electronic sounds (the frist part). How to manage that avoiding exaggaration will always be a puzzle for me. It proves his mastership. The transition to the second part is just great. My sincere congratulations.


    Raymond
    Raymond Robijns
    Youtube channel: "Raymond Robijns"

  4. #4

    Re: Refuge

    Nice the beginning has a 'nice' dark mood to it.. I really liked the 2nd part, it touches me.. Did you think/try starting with the 2nd half for the beginning?

    Very nice..

  5. #5
    Senior Member tedvanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada,winter Mexico
    Posts
    1,102

    Re: Refuge

    I like the first part and love the second, you are lately quite different, like a butterfly emerging....
    Congratulation,

    Ted

  6. #6
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    3,003

    Re: Refuge

    Well, now,I found the first part much more impressive and think it would do very well as a stand alone piece, although a bit short. You should do more of this kind of music, as you are quite good at it.
    Richard

  7. #7

    Re: Refuge

    Phil Odysseas Papathanasiou!

    What a mood. This makes me picture Rachel playing the piano while the notes of the "Love Theme" slowly rise in the background... and I am meaning this in the good way: yours is not some sort of a "replica" but a darn good attempt at grabbing a touching feeling and turning it into sound. Very cinematic in an absolutely positive way, it reminds you how soundtracks should be made: just the right notes, just the right amount of them, painting just the right picture. Tasteful and balanced. Very very well done.
    Refuge? YES! A refuge against the barbarian drift of film music!

  8. #8
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    3,168

    Re: Refuge

    Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    Phil,

    It was a good decision of yours to combine
    these two completely different moods into one piece.

    The first dark and sinister part was well-thought-of
    and created just the right atmosphere.
    The toll of the bell signaled it getting away and disappearing...

    Then the light could step in and fill in its place
    the calm simplicity of the refuge.

    Well done!


    ~ Yudit ~
    I’m glad you liked the combination Yudit.

    Years ago, the second part originally had another first part but they didn’t seem to match up very well so I came up with this.

    I think you’ve accurately stated what I was trying to communicate.




    Phil

  9. #9
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    3,168

    Re: Refuge

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Be warned, friends, Fastlane is doing it again. And with great taste of full electronic sounds (the frist part). How to manage that avoiding exaggaration will always be a puzzle for me. It proves his mastership. The transition to the second part is just great. My sincere congratulations.


    Raymond
    Thank you much Raymond for the encouraging words. When working with electronic sounds there is, at least for me, a fair amount of trail and error using different patches to come up with something coherent and hopefully some what original.




    Phil

  10. #10
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    3,168

    Re: Refuge

    Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    Nice the beginning has a 'nice' dark mood to it.. I really liked the 2nd part, it touches me.. Did you think/try starting with the 2nd half for the beginning?

    Very nice..
    Hi angelonyc!

    Actually, I have posted just the second part before as Rememberance. The second part,at one time, did have a pretty zany first part and it was called Hippies On Jazz. Lol.

    I imagine switching the sections with possibly a few changes would be interesting and probably say something completely different. It would definetly leave the listener in a different place.

    Thanks for commenting!





    Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •