• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Looking Back

Share/Bookmark

Looking Back

This is a previously posted music I wrote while I was living with my mother as she was loosing her memory and other faculties in her mid-eighties. It a redo of the original, replacing the GPO Cello with the LASS First Chair Cello and using the Garritan Steinway. She is now 95 and is still living on her ranch with the aid of a M-F caregiver and my brothers and me.

Remixed

Looking Back

Re: Looking Back

Just lovely, full of love.
    Do not change a thing, but cut back a little on the piano if you agree..
    Ted

Absolutely spectacular music. Perhaps a bit of a balance issue between the two instruments, but the music itself is beyond reproach.

Magic music, brilliant. Many sad emotions but I could also hear some bright moments.

Kjell

A very striking piece. Yes, sadness, and melancholy, but almost a hint of possible hope. WOW.. I guess the movement and 'twinkling' of the piano notes, bring some uplift to the sadness of the cello.. A very delicate balance here, that works well. Congratulations.

Lovely music. Don't chane a tjing excapt tbalance. Piano is over powering. I would increase cello , then adjust the master volume. Then sit back and enjoy your work.
    Teprint on my phone is so tiny that I can't check for typos. But only on this site.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Just lovely, full of love.
    Do not change a thing, but cut back a little on the piano if you agree..
    Ted
    Thanks Ted!

I posted the original version here using the GPO cello which probably sounded more balanced. I’ll have to find that project which was done in my old DAW and pull back the piano a little.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Absolutely spectacular music. Perhaps a bit of a balance issue between the two instruments, but the music itself is beyond reproach.
    I’m glad you found this to be solid effort Tom. The interesting thing is that I remember recording the piano first without hearing the cello but it ended up a natural fit with not much editing of the piano part.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by kjelleman View Post
    Magic music, brilliant. Many sad emotions but I could also hear some bright moments.

Kjell
    Some mixed emotions in play here no doubt Kjell as my mother was not easy to live with and fought me daily to try and keep her independence. I had my DAW setup in my bedroom in the attic so perhaps this brought me comfort. The bright moments or maybe memories.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    A very striking piece. Yes, sadness, and melancholy, but almost a hint of possible hope. WOW.. I guess the movement and 'twinkling' of the piano notes, bring some uplift to the sadness of the cello.. A very delicate balance here, that works well. Congratulations.
    Thank you angelonyc! It was sort of an experiment with unexpected results.

I think the piano part has some of the gospel style that my mother loved to play on the piano. She still occasionally sits at the piano and plays some of those old songs, now having no idea what she is playing. I know she accompanied her father, who sang, when they performed live on a radio station at the top of Smith Tower in Seattle in the thirties.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast