• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rocky Waters Duet

Share/Bookmark

Rocky Waters Duet

Composed a few yers ago, set aside. Finally finished. Busy and bumpy. About 14 minutes of GPO Steinway.Two Pianos, 4 hands. It will make more sense to you if you can listen to the individual pars both independently as all at once.

Richard

Rocky Waters Duet.mp3

Re: Rocky Waters Duet

Flawless piano playing,wish to hear it live...
    Congratulation

Ted

Hi Richard:

I listened to this yesterday, didn't really know what to make of it.. I listened again today.. The very busy parts, dis-oriented me.. I've dealt with anxiety and depression much of my adult life.. The busy parts, is analogous, to what I feel my brain starts to do when I get too anxious. I think thats why it was hard to listen to the first time..

This second time, was somewhat different.. I do realize you are 'controlling' very much what you are doing.. So in that aspect it took away some of my uncomfortable emotional response.. I admire your precision in performing it.

I think a fair amount of 'creators' (art, music, etc) move towards complexity, a wider range, a bigger picture as they mature. Some creators, find a place they like, and remain exploring that territory, (be it out there jazz, atonal, poly rhythms, etc). Other explore a genre, or area, and then move on.

I find when I encounter something too far outside of my 'normal range of experience, or taste'.. I have to be patient with myself, to 'get it'. I greatly admire the complexity of it, and your mind to compose a piece like this. Well done.

first of all, thanks to Angelo and Ted for the time and effort in listening and commenting. I consider all comments very carefully.

Next: comments on the playing. Beethoven could not have played this piece! I is quie comlex, and he would have had trouble in comprehending it. The general plan is simple although I could not describe it. But the execution of the plan is far from simple. I formerly played a few Beethoven sonatas, which were simple compared to what I ususally write. I do not intend the complexity. It just becomes necessary to achieve my aims. I did not play this live. That sort of thing is history for me. Now, it my fare does not get beyond Mozart sonatas or Chopin waltzes and nocturnes. But sufficient piano skills remain that I know how to produce with numbers that which I formerly produced with arms and hands. It often misleads people, which is never my intent.

Why do I compose as I do? One reason, I like it! Beyond that, it is highly structured, but not always so obviously so. Occasionally, I write things a bit more lyrical, Most of my composing techniques would be easily recognized by Bach, whose influnence on my work is strong. I suppose you could call this my mature style, as I certainly would be regarded as such because of my age,But my style continues to evolve, and will probably continue to do so.

I have written and destroyed a few thingsin a more melodice style, and performed then in the San Francisco area, but that was more than 25 years ago.

That is probably more than anyone really wanted to know, but there it is, a long ramble.

Richard

Thanx Richard;

I find any info people give about their work, technique, reasoning, thought processes extremely interesting and helpful.

I used to perform in a rock band, and three of us wrote songs. When teaching our song to the rest of the band. We told the story of the lyrics, what we hoped to convey, (hidden meanings, or desired conclusions, or emotions listeners might feel). It made it easier for each of the members to 'get' the song. We suggested comparisons, for each member, i.e. Play the bass, like a jazz walking bass, except with some 'funk' slaps. drums like a prog rock band, etc.

So reveal anything you want.. i also think it helps us to understand and appreciate each other more..

Back in the 60's I discovered Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.. He got a $10,000 advance for his first album. He took that money and bought up every copy of his album. The record label, was perplexed. It didn't sell well, except for San Francisco, where the sales were unprecedented. The record label, gave him a much larger advance for the next album. He made a 'parody' album of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band, except he called 'We're Only In It For The Money'.. It was brilliant, and funny.

After another album or two, his music began to get very weird, and I lost interest. Then about 2000, with all the information on the internet. I read about his life.. He was brilliant, and loved Edgar Varese, and other 'out there music pioneers'.. He also began doing extreme amounts of 16 track/24 track tape editing, which explained one reason why the music was so bizarre. He bought one of the first 'Synclavier's'.. It was one of, if not the first 'keyboard with a state of the art computer built in'. Basically it was a DAW, with an extremely powerful polyphonic synthesizer and sample players in it. Obscenely expensive at the time..

Learning all this, I went back and listened to a number of his albums. I gained an appreciation, once I understood, how complex, convoluted his creative process was. and it influenced me to try out some of his techniques..

All of this came about, because I learned the 'back story' of his life. So PLEASE give us as much info as you feel comfortable..

Hello Richard,

There’s quite a lot going on with this piece. The pianos, to me at least, seem to both be at odds and in harmony with each other simutaneously. Maybe that says something.

I would think, as you said, it would have more clarity played live to get more separation between the pianos.

Phil

Go Back to forum