• Register
  • Help

Topic: Solo Cello Exercise

Share/Bookmark

Solo Cello Exercise

Hello Everybody,
    after Jos posted the Fiala work for solo cello I have myself explored the instrument in a somewhat more detail than I did previously. I studied the instruction given on the VSL website and transferred the notations to Finale and GPO, quite an amusing job.
    So here is my first attempt to utilize the expressivity of the solo cello, together with piano:

https://soundcloud.com/user-89293915...lo-and-piano-2

Greetings,
    Kjell

Re: Solo Cello Exercise

Hi Kjell,

I'm so glad that I was some sort of inspiration for you to start a cello work. You might have experienced at once how difficult it is to create a 'realistic' performance. The cello is so close to the human voice that it could easily replace a solo voice part in any composition.
    I'm sure you would expect me to comment on your cello part here, but I won't because it's too difficult to compare and it would be not just to do so. The piece itself is a beautiful composition, nicely built and performed, but the piano part is clearly too much present and pushes the cello away to the background. In the Fiala piece, I used two different ambiences: one for the orchestra and one for the cello. That way I could keep them clearly separated and only in the master they came together. That procedure gives more room to the solo.

Maybe you have noticed, but I had to remove the Fiala piece from the forum. The person who gave me the score was furious about it and wanted me to take it away immediately. It was a misunderstanding from my part: I thought I wasn't allowed to pass on the written score, which I wouldn't do for sure. But most of you have heard it and that's good. It was a learning piece for me, so mission accomplished.

Thanks for sharing!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Very nice. somewhat haunting (which is good).....The cello works well with the piano.. Nice dialog. I was struck by the photograph you put on Soundcloud, The trees with the river bed, with a lot of stones. The haunted mansion image of course came up, but your photograph stood out.. I of course have seen this, grew up in a rural area. But the juxtaposition of a lot of trees, and a great river that has shrunk and all the stones makes a statement. and also makes one.

The river is kind of like a person, it accumulates and discards of leaves behind many things as they go thru their life..
    So the river is now no longer, the great powerful thing it once was.. Just as we age. We have discard many things. we grow out of them, financially cannot carry them anymore.. In one aspect, kind of sad, but a necessary procedure in our lives.

Somehow the music implied this.. I went to your link, and clicked 'play', not paying attention to the picture, then read the comment about the haunted mansion, then went back to soundcloud, and payed attention to the picture. and the story the picture just tells or implies by itself. Then realized the picture influenced my opinion of the music.

Nice job on your piano/cello work Kjell. I seems more a duet than a cello supported by the piano piece so perhaps the mix is appropriate at least in this sence.

I noticed the slides and such with the cello which was an interesting touch.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Kjell,

I'm so glad that I was some sort of inspiration for you to start a cello work. You might have experienced at once how difficult it is to create a 'realistic' performance. The cello is so close to the human voice that it could easily replace a solo voice part in any composition.
    I'm sure you would expect me to comment on your cello part here, but I won't because it's too difficult to compare and it would be not just to do so. The piece itself is a beautiful composition, nicely built and performed, but the piano part is clearly too much present and pushes the cello away to the background. In the Fiala piece, I used two different ambiences: one for the orchestra and one for the cello. That way I could keep them clearly separated and only in the master they came together. That procedure gives more room to the solo.

Maybe you have noticed, but I had to remove the Fiala piece from the forum. The person who gave me the score was furious about it and wanted me to take it away immediately. It was a misunderstanding from my part: I thought I wasn't allowed to pass on the written score, which I wouldn't do for sure. But most of you have heard it and that's good. It was a learning piece for me, so mission accomplished.

Thanks for sharing!
    Jos
    Thanks Jos for listening and commenting, appreciated as usual.
    Kjell

Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    Very nice. somewhat haunting (which is good).....The cello works well with the piano.. Nice dialog. I was struck by the photograph you put on Soundcloud, The trees with the river bed, with a lot of stones. The haunted mansion image of course came up, but your photograph stood out.. I of course have seen this, grew up in a rural area. But the juxtaposition of a lot of trees, and a great river that has shrunk and all the stones makes a statement. and also makes one.

The river is kind of like a person, it accumulates and discards of leaves behind many things as they go thru their life..
    So the river is now no longer, the great powerful thing it once was.. Just as we age. We have discard many things. we grow out of them, financially cannot carry them anymore.. In one aspect, kind of sad, but a necessary procedure in our lives.

Somehow the music implied this.. I went to your link, and clicked 'play', not paying attention to the picture, then read the comment about the haunted mansion, then went back to soundcloud, and payed attention to the picture. and the story the picture just tells or implies by itself. Then realized the picture influenced my opinion of the music.
    Nice to hear that Mark, glad you liked it. I didn't spend so much time finding a matching picture but I'm glad it could add to the experience.

Kjell

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Nice job on your piano/cello work Kjell. I seems more a duet than a cello supported by the piano piece so perhaps the mix is appropriate at least in this sence.

I noticed the slides and such with the cello which was an interesting touch.

Phil
    Thank you so much Phil for pointing out these essential points. It is certainly a duet so the cello may support the piano also. And the unique sliding technique for string instruments was exciting to work with although I understand it may be hard to play. This continuous transfer from one note to another brings something thrilling to music which I don't here so often in classical music. Therefore it is appealing for a postmodernist like myself, being much influenced by pop music.

Kjell

Go Back to forum