• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music from the virtual Stone Age

Share/Bookmark

Music from the virtual Stone Age

Hi dear friends,

After the Fiala effort, time to relax a bit. I delved into my archives and found a number of very contrasting pieces from a musical that the town of Izegem (Flanders) commissioned in 1996. I remember I had 2 months to write 23 songs (text and music!). I did that during my holiday in the south of France with a (let's say many) glass(es) of pastis or rosé wine at hand. Once at home, I did the arrangements for a band of music teachers. Alas, as usual the money to pay them was already spent... So I had to redo the whole job for virtual orchestra (in 1996!). My Roland gear came in here very usefully. So everything was played from Music PrinterPlus or Finale directly into the Roland engines and recorded from there.

Here are two small examples in a style that you might find weird for my doing...

Enjoy some music from the virtual Stone Age...

Piece 1 (a March in baroque style)

Piece 2 (a pop song)

Unfortunately I don't have any recordings with the voices who performed the play. The first piece was without text of course.

If you would like to listen to all the songs of the musical play, you can find them here:

http://www.joswyl.be/de-wijze-kater---toneelmuzi.html

Enjoy the listen!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Re: Music from the virtual Stone Age

Delightful! I like all of them. The "instrument" sounds are unusual but I appreciate them.

Thanks for sharing your music with us, Mister Max. More! more!

Larry G. Alexander

I think your work is fascinatingly representing so many delightful styles, moods but always elegantly fresh. Because you offered it, so I opened your other page also and listened again your Bude Vecer and Running waters..Still new and great.
    Great gift you are to us.

Ted

Thanks Larry and Ted.

We're all part of the same music loving family with respect for our differences and tastes on this wonderful forum. That's why everybody keeps coming back to this remarkable online place.

Jos
    Jos Wylin

Hello Jos,

I listened to your musical from the waning days of hardware synths and sound modules. Enjoyed it!

The Overture seemed pretty ambient until the progressive rock section began. It reminded me a little of the band Rush with the synths and hard edged guitar. It got the show on the road.

There was quite variety of nice music and I’m sure it was well appreciated. It had an uplifting feeling to it.

While I was listening I found a Roland blog with all their synths and modules. I owned a Juno 60 and four modules of theirs besides a Yamaha digital piano and a E-MU Proteus 2000 during that period. I sold or traded them all in except the Yamaha digital piano which is at my mothers for her to play.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Hello Jos,

I listened to your musical from the waning days of hardware synths and sound modules. Enjoyed it!

The Overture seemed pretty ambient until the progressive rock section began. It reminded me a little of the band Rush with the synths and hard edged guitar. It got the show on the road.

There was quite variety of nice music and I’m sure it was well appreciated. It had an uplifting feeling to it.

Phil
    Hi Phil,

Thanks a lot for listening to the whole lot!

And you're right about the overture. It was mainly meant as ambience music. The story behind it is pretty simple: the overture was being played while the audience entered the hall and during some more minutes after. The 'rats' annoyed the audience in the room during the overture (consisting of a number of sonic modules that could be repeated for as long as necessary). Near the end, the rats moved to the stage to perform a rock-dance, the beginning pf the play. In short it deals with kings, dukes, barons... high society people and their exploited servants. The wise tomcat initiated a revolution, the well known tale. Within the play, there was a budding romance between the rat catcher and a servant girl. That explains the huge variety in styles (baroque to rock and even house music). Every social class had its own style.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

Go Back to forum