• Register
  • Help

Topic: Virtual Sound Stage

Share/Bookmark

Virtual Sound Stage

OK, I have Virtual Sound Stage 2.0 I purchased a while ago for use in Sonar. It worked perfectly for me the first time I used it. Then, I got onto other projects and have mostly been using Finale. Now, I'm back to using Sonar for a big project, but I'm running into problems. I hope one of you who've used VSS might have some suggestions.

The problem I’m having is I can’t get the entire orchestra to show up in the plugin. I only get one instance per instrument, (Flute, for example). For the plugin to work at all, I have to keep adding an instance for every instrument, which kind of defeats the purpose of the plugin. I contacted Parallax, the company that created the plugin and this was their response:

“Some DAWs offer the option to reload the .dll for each instance. So, there should be an option in the preferences that’s something like ‘launch plug-ins in separate processes’ or something similar.”

I’ve looked in the preferences in Sonar Platinum, but I can’t seem to find what he’s referring to. I know there are VSS users here, so if any of you has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Re: Virtual Sound Stage

On one of the Forums in Mexico someone asked where can she buy cheddar cheese. Among the numerous helpful answers were one which said: I don't know.
    My answer to your question is similarly stupid: I don't know.
    You are always helpful to us, so I feel bad ignoring your question. I am working with Sonar for many years. Looking at my set up, in Utilities and Plug-in Manager, since I do not have VSS, I can not see it. But since I had loads of problems with Kontakt, and the number of output channels available, I had to get in editing the program in the Plug in Manager. If there is some solution to your problem, maybe you can find it there. Does the plug in show up in the Manager?
    Please forgive me, I just feel bad that I can not help. I will look up VSS now, and see if I can afford it. If I can, I'll install and report to you....

Ted

(I can not afford it, but) looking at the info, maybe you should try on your track view, clicking on the Effects of each instrument and inserting a VSS this may just work. To my understanding ( do not trust me) this insertion is not different than inserting (for example) a separate reverb effect on all instruments, which Sonar is capable of handling.
    Then, I am sure, you would have to go through one by one on all your instruments and place them as you wish.
    All depends if the VSS is showing up on the Plug in Manager's list of included plug ins.
    Hopefully you already came to this, but please let me know how you are doing.
    Ted

I'd suggest you try on the cakewalk forum for this one.

It might also be worth trying the new cakewalk by bandlab version - people are reporting a lot more stability already.

I did download the Bandlab version of Cakewalk while I had the Sonar Professional on my computer. It looks now that my old Sonar is still there, working, and the new one is loaded on the same Program Files on my main drive. The result of the installation, picking up my work files was not perfect but with a little work all is back normal. I see no indication what I have now, is this the platinum version? Is it safe to delete the old Cakewalk? thanks Alan for your post.
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I did download the Bandlab version of Cakewalk while I had the Sonar Professional on my computer. It looks now that my old Sonar is still there, working, and the new one is loaded on the same Program Files on my main drive. The result of the installation, picking up my work files was not perfect but with a little work all is back normal. I see no indication what I have now, is this the platinum version? Is it safe to delete the old Cakewalk? thanks Alan for your post.
    Ted
    Hi Ted and Alan!

I still haven't taken the "plunge" with the new version of Cakewalk from Bandlab, but I may try it out on my laptop soon to see how it goes before trying it out on my desktop. Just too much going on right now. After this week's over, then I will look into it.

On the Virtual Sound Stage front, I managed a workaround. I open the project I've been working on in my older version of Sonar X3 Professional. After a lot of kicking and screaming from Sonar telling me I'm opening a newer file in an older version of Sonar, I'm able to get VSS to work. Then, I open it back up in Sonar Platinum and VSS works correctly. Not ideal, but at least I can still use it. What's strange is I can get VSS to work properly in Sonar Platinum on my laptop, which tells me I have a setting on my desktop which is preventing it from working the way it's supposed to, but I can't for the life of me find the setting that's causing it. I've looked everywhere.

And Alan, about the Cakewalk Forum. Ever since Bandlab has taken over Cakewalk, I haven't seen a posting on the forum in weeks. However, I've signed up for Bandlab and will be downloading the new version of Sonar sometime next week and will see if it VSS works as it should. If not, then I will post something on the forum and go from there.

Thanks, guys!

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Go Back to forum