• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Joseph Fiala, Concerto in G major for cello, part 1

Share/Bookmark

Re: Joseph Fiala, Concerto in G major for cello, part 1

Hi Max;

Truly ASTOUNDING.. I was fascinated by the visual I kept getting from the beautiful strings, just continually arpegiating.
    Like a fairy or mythical small gnome, jumping across a pond on lily pads, never pausing long enough to sink into the water. Always continually moving to stay afloat, and covering so much sonic territory..

Beautiful and inspiring.. Yes, a lot of long intense hard work to coax this out of a library.. But WELL WORTH it..

Thank you for excellence. I also appreciated and chuckled (smiled) at some of the subtle panning.. well done..

Hi Mark,

What a lovely description you did to illustrate your listening experience. You are a true music AND word artist! And I'm glad you've noticed the small interventions in the performance.
    It was quite a task to realise this, but I saw it as some course, a climbing of a huge mountain to learn how to master these hundreds of different samples and to forge them to a coherent and musical whole in order to create a credible virtual solo instrument.

Thank you for listening and commenting!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Hi Jos,
    this is a very nice production of a rather simple but beautiful composition containing a lot of Mozart like music.
    And VSL are of course number one for digital music but hard to master due to its infinite possibilities. Impressive that you needed only six weeks for this splendid achievement.
    Maybe I connect to Yudit's comment now: At around 2:45 and 8:30 there are some unexpected background sound when cello is playing solo. Maybe it appears only in my ears.

Thank you Jos for sharing.

Kjell

Thanks a lot Kjell.

The 'odd' sounds in the background of the passages you refer to are just bow noises, because in these two phrases, the solo cello plays in 5th harmonics*, not real tones. That means that the normal sound of the strings and the bow are somewhat different and mainly softer. That way, the scraping is a lot more audible.

* Strings are being touched very lightly with the finger tips at certain well defined places to produce upper tones (harmonics) in stead of normal tones. That's what you are hearing there. Nothing wrong, it's another way to produce sound (for all string instruments, even guitars).

Have a look here:

harmonics

Thanks for listening!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Thanks a lot Kjell.

The 'odd' sounds in the background of the passages you refer to are just bow noises, because in these two phrases, the solo cello plays in 5th harmonics*, not real tones. That means that the normal sound of the strings and the bow are somewhat different and mainly softer. That way, the scraping is a lot more audible.

* Strings are being touched very lightly with the finger tips at certain well defined places to produce upper tones (harmonics) in stead of normal tones. That's what you are hearing there. Nothing wrong, it's another way to produce sound (for all string instruments, even guitars).

Have a look here:

harmonics

Thanks for listening!
    Jos
    Thanks Jos for clarifying and instructive answer. So good to have you here on the site. Very interesting video as well.

Kjell

Mister Max,

The realistic sounds of the instruments are remarkable! The truth is that you hired a lot of real musicians to play this.

Wonderful job! Thanks for sharing this with us. I am amazed.

My best to you.

Larry G. Alexander

Thank you so much, Larry, For listening and commenting.

Indeed, some gnomes came with their tiny violins and cellos to record this one for me. But alas, the rehearsal time was about 8 weeks and they were so hard to control...

Jos
    Jos Wylin

Go Back to forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12