• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Redemption

Share/Bookmark

Re: Redemption

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Are you SURE you are not related to Vangelis? This is very effective. It could easily be thematic material for a feature film.
    Tom,

My brother’s DNA test showed no Greek or Mediterranean genes so we are probably not related except maybe by some distant Neanderthal relative.

I hadn’t given any thought about soundtrack but I can see your point. The natural and electronic sounds do seem to blend well on this one.

Thanks for the comment!

Phil

A very lovely romantic piece.. I love both Robotopia and this..

That is one of the wonderful things about music, you can match, create, re-inorce any emotion.

I was recently in a 6 week 'music therapy workshop'.. It consisted of 7 musicians. We were all from different aspects of musicality.. One woman, composed, and arranged 50 piece orchestras for film work.. A very accomplished musician. She spoke several times on 'manipulating the listener's emotions'.. That was her job, and focus.

I never thought of composing music as deliberate as 'manipulating' some one's emotional state as rather 'coaxing'.. an emotional state from someone. or making the music vague enough, that certain people would interpret it a slightly different way.. Instead of being herded in a direction.. The listener can be 'involved' in the piece, by choosing, consciously or sub-consciously (is it still choosing?) how he feels about the piece. Will he just listen, or hum along with it, or make up his own part to hum under his breath. That is an aspect of music direction I am greatly interested in.

I like your pieces, because I don't feel like they are forcing me to experience a certain emotion. They are guiding me in a direction, but I can still make a choice of how I interpret it. It is not 'force-fed' into me, to illicit a certain response.

Excellent

Hi angelonyc,

Excuse my late reply. Spring fever and all.

Robotopia and Redemption are very diffent but also possibably share some musical points. I glad you enjoyed both.

The workshop sounds interesting. I’ve heard of music therapy and the training of it for a patient’s emotional therapy but this sounds different.

The woman who composes for sound track sounds like more of a craftperson than a composer. She has developed the skills necessary to embellish the film as much as possible. It’s a very diffent approach than composing a work meant to stand on it’s own. Craft vs art. I guess a few of the best film composers manage to accomplish both in film work but probably not consistently. Then there are those that can become a craftperson when needed and also are a composer when that is contracted for someone’s project or they just want to create a work.

Me. I usually have no idea what I’m going to come up with so in a way I sort of envy those skills.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12