• Register
  • Help

Topic: Symphony in C I. Allegro moderato

Share/Bookmark

Symphony in C I. Allegro moderato

2 months ago I discovered a symphony fragment of about 80 measures (till 2:25) and some sketches for the development of a wellknown composer (you can guess the name!) which fascinated me so that I wanted to complete it. Here it is:

www.gerdprengel.de/symphony_C_Major_1.mp3

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Symphony_in_C.pdf

I hope it speaks to you!

Gerd

Re: Symphony in C I. Allegro moderato

You did a good job of puttingt all together. I’m not sure about the composer other than were were probably male, living some where in Europe in the 1800s?

Technically, I occasionally heard the machine gun effect. That probably has to do with audio play back using a notation app.

Phil

Hi Gerd,

You've brought up a wonderful composition here, worth a closer look and a good recording. Phil already mentioned the machine gun effect in the violins and violas. As such it doesn't disturb too much here, since the triplets are made in a sustain-like sample, with camouflages the so called gun effect. But the composition would definitely benefit from a clear spiccato or soft staccato (or portato, or a short articulation with a distinct attack) to execute all these triplets in a light and joyful way. The melodic themes would be supported in a playful way as a nice contrast. So if possible (if you have the articulations at your disposal to do so) could you review these triplets? Your massive, marvellous work would shine a lot more by such simple change!

Well done, I really like the overall composition.
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Re: Symphony in C I. Allegro Moderato

Some new development with this symphony fragment from Mendelssohn: When I first was working on it I had only a piano arrangement from the original score. I didn't even know that there was a score exisiting! By know I was informed that there is a score in the city of Leipzig and a copy as PDF file I could order there. Can you I magine how exciting it was for me to compare my orchestration with Mendelssohn's original score? Interestingly my first version wasn't even so far away from Mendelssohn's :-) The biggest difference was that Mendelssohn made much more use of the timpani (with great tremolos!) and that I had tremolis in the violins in the beginning which I kept . And his brass instruments were better .... :-)

So here now a new version with Mendelssohn's original score of the first 2 minutes and my completion (the same links as before):

www.gerdprengel.de/symphony_C_Major_1.mp3

www.gerdprengel.de/Symphony_in_C.pdf

Gerd

Recently I got to know a very interesting new sound tool and with this I recorded my Mendelssohn symphony fragment anew. I'd like to know what you think of it in comparison to my old version. I think especially the loud tutti passages come with much more clarity:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssoh..._symphony1.mp3

www.gerdprengel.de/symphony_C_Major_1.mp3 (old version)

Thank you for your assesment ...

Gerd

Yes, the second version is much clearer and much better. What is the tool you were using?
    great work...

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Yes, the second version is much clearer and much better. What is the tool you were using?
    great work...

Ted
    its called NotePerformer --> www.noteperformer.com ... :-)

Gerd

Quite a beautiful piece. Effortless (sounding) transitions to different articulations.. very smooth.

Go Back to forum