• Register
  • Help

Topic: French Roast Fantasy

Share/Bookmark

French Roast Fantasy

I just deleted recent uploads, replacing with this. 26 minutes.

French Roast Fantasy.mp3

Re: French Roast Fantasy

This is a serious piece of work.. Congratulations..Too long for me to make specific comments.. I did feel like I was being scurried around a very large room with a lot small wooden items, I had to sort into logical piles.

I know that is a pretty subjective comment.. So in spite of all the flurries of activities that at first didn't appear to have a goal, through out the piece - there was a goal being worked toward, and achieved.

I have indeed had spells of emotion, which this connects with..

Well done.. It's hard to sit and remain passive, while this plays, it draws the listener in to participate with it

Angelo, thanks for your comments. I appreciate the time it took to listen, think, and prepare your remarks. I also obviously appreciate the fact that you liked the work, which provides encouragement.

When I write music, the idea of the music have a goal, or going somewhere has always been a foreign concept to me. I think of the music as exciting, stirring relaxing, sad, etc. Also, my structures frequently resemble JSB, who would certainly be familiar with my techniques.

When New York comes to mind, I always remember the time I spent on State Island. Sometimes I would like to go back, but I won't. I had a view of the Narrows bridge, watched it be constructed, and walked across it before the decking was in place. Also spent much time at Broadway and Off Broadway productions, as well as Carnegie Hall and the new (then) Kennedy Center. Lots of memories of New York, best kept that way. Nothing to be gained by going back.

Richard

Richard,

I also listened to this in it’s entirety. Is this a piano suite? If it was to be performed I imagine it would require two pianists to spell each other. It was quite a work out for the ear to brain also.

I liked it. Some sections a little more than others. Probably the ones that were some what different than what my memory recalls of your composing style. It was quite an outpouring of musical energy.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Richard,

I also listened to this in it’s entirety. Is this a piano suite? If it was to be performed I imagine it would require two pianists to spell each other. It was quite a work out for the ear to brain also.

I liked it. Some sections a little more than others. Probably the ones that were some what different than what my memory recalls of your composing style. It was quite an outpouring of musical energy.

Phil
    Greetings, Phil.

Definitely energetic. More so than I am. You are right about my composing style. It has been evolving. Currently, not as dissonant, but otherwise much the same. But that could change again. I must say that my music compositions have always been more energetic than I am. Might be related to my youth, swimming a mile or two a day, climbing a mountain daily, cross country run, long distane bike riding, weight training, etc. But that all came to an end 39 years ago when asthma added to the arthritis and spousal resentment of the absences this required. Age has now contributed it's share. However, I am rejuvenation somewhat by using my new toy, a treadmill.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Greetings, Phil.

Definitely energetic. More so than I am. You are right about my composing style. It has been evolving. Currently, not as dissonant, but otherwise much the same. But that could change again. I must say that my music compositions have always been more energetic than I am. Might be related to my youth, swimming a mile or two a day, climbing a mountain daily, cross country run, long distane bike riding, weight training, etc. But that all came to an end 39 years ago when asthma added to the arthritis and spousal resentment of the absences this required. Age has now contributed it's share. However, I am rejuvenation somewhat by using my new toy, a treadmill.

Richard
    That sort of sounds like me Richard, the physical activities part. I’m exercising two hours almost every day now. It pretty much kills the morning with everything else. Bunches of crunches, and 400 more with 40 lbs of dumbbells on my chest, a plank, and 60 push-ups. Then I work in 70+ curls, 200 reverse curls and 60+ overheads using the 20lb dumbbells and also 200 side and front arm extensions using 5lb dumbbells. Then I do a one hour walk/run and I finish with 80 cheater pull-ups in the back yard.

Naps come easy for me just about anytime after lunch. By early summer I’ll be going on my early morning start hike/scrambles in the near by Olympic Mountains every week with decent weather. I’ve also been a country Search And Rescue volunteer ground pounder but I’m cutting back on that physically demanding responsibility and I’m just going to be doing base camp operations work.

Phil

Well, Phil, at age 86,I am no longer as active as fotmerly. At one point, I appeared in a strength and health show doing an exhibition of feats of strength, ltifting 465 pounds, the heaviedt lift on the program considerably more than Mr Universe anvd olympic champ Tommy Kono.

Richard

Hi Richard,

This elaborate piece sounds like a suite to me with different characters and techniques. It flows so naturally that I at times had the impression it was mainly improvisation, but the the construction and the thematic evolution held me back... I prefer the passage that starts at 11.30.
    If you allow me some small remark, the long flow could use a bit more dynamic variation, but the entire composition is certainly worth the (long) listening time.
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Definetly a suite with 3 movements. Probably should have had a short pause between them.

Richard

Go Back to forum