• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mixing in Mono in Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Mixing in Mono in Sonar

I recently saw a youtube video that advised doing your final mix in mono, then switching to stereo when you are satisfied with the mix. It suggested this a remedy for the situation I now find myself in, where my mixes sound good on the headphones or studio monitors I used when mixing the tracks, but much worse on virtually any other speakers.

I have a good pair of Sony MDR-7506 studio monitor headphones and a Genelec studio monitor speakers and subwoofer, which I use interchangeably when mixing. (I use the headphones at night, so I don't disturb my neighbors). The mix sounds different on each, but not as much as you might think. If a track sounds good on the headphones, it sounds good on the speakers, and vice versa. The two are always close enough to satisfy me. Unfortunately, they soun pretty bad on just about any other system. Even on my TV sound system, which includes a pair of Genelecs which are smaller than the studio monitors, but still of high quality. (I have no complaints about the fidelity of CDs and DVDs played on this system).

Since I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I wanted to remix in mono, then convert all the tracks to stereo, as the video suggests, and see if makes a difference. However, I don't know how to make a track mono in Sonar 6, which is the version I am still using. (Long story. It took me years to build a very expensive DAW, which I can't afford to update because changing any one thing requires replacing everything.)

The only virtual instruments I don't have to worry about are the original JABB and GPO 2 libraries, because they have notation versions for all. I can simply pan them to center. This is not the case with my other sample libraries, however. So am a looking for a way to force a Sonar 6 track to mono.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Allegro Data Solutions

Re: Mixing in Mono in Sonar

It is not uncommon to check the final mix in mono, just to make sure that it will still sound acceptable when played back on a mono system. Sometimes there are phase issues, and sounds from the left will cancel sounds from the right when the mix is collapsed to mono, and these need to be adjusted. But I wouldn't want to create the mix in mono, and then assume that the stereo mix was going to sound better, not sure how you could even attempt to adjust panning, etc.

You state that other mixes sound good during playback through your monitors and headphones, but that your own mixes do not translate as well to other systems. Sounds like it would be in your best interest to select various commercial reference mixes that sound good, and are similar to what you are trying to do, and then adjust (in stereo) your mix to emulate those.

Jim

Go Back to forum