• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cakewalk assets including Sonar have been acquired by Bandcamp

Share/Bookmark

Cakewalk assets including Sonar have been acquired by BandLab

Sonar and other Cakewalk assets have been acquired by BandLab. So a new lease of life hopefully for Sonar.

The new owner, Bandcamp, provides a social media platform targeted at young people to share their musical thoughts etc. The new owner also acquired Rolling Stones magazine.

It is impossible to imagine how Gibson could have handled the PR on all of this any worse.

Anyway, Interesting times.

Re: Cakewalk assets including Sonar have been acquired by Bandcamp

I'm not a Sonar user, but from previous surveys regarding this DAW, it was one of the most popular DAWs around. I guess dedicated Sonar users will hold on to what they have that works or move to another DAW. Being a Mac person, Digital Performer and Logic have been popular in recent surveys, but outside of the Notation programs, I'm wondering what the PC people will go to.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 25.5, DORICO 1.2.10, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.51, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    I'm not a Sonar user, but from previous surveys regarding this DAW, it was one of the most popular DAWs around. I guess dedicated Sonar users will hold on to what they have that works or move to another DAW. Being a Mac person, Digital Performer and Logic have been popular in recent surveys, but outside of the Notation programs, I'm wondering what the PC people will go to.

Jack
    There's been a lot of discussion on the web - some saying Samplitude, some saying Cubase, but most have been talking about Studio One 3

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Bandcamp seems to have a decent business model with it’s niche music market. And Bandcamp now own 49% of Rolling Stone magazine, so not much has actually changed there. Bandcamp is offering Sonar now for FREE and plans on continued development of the product. I wonder if it will remain free or what.

Phil

McAfee Web advisor informs me that Band Camp is a very risky site to visit. Any others eperience this?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    McAfee Web advisor informs me that Band Camp is a very risky site to visit. Any others eperience this?

Richard
    I’m not sure what exactly is risky about visiting Bandcamp? Does McAfee think there could be problems with the music downloads. I think that is unlikely because of possible liability. I read that they encourage musicians to share the chores in creating music. That would amount to the sending of files back and forth between people that really don’t know each other besides being on the same music site. Maybe that is what could be very risky. I wonder what the terms and conditions of doing that are.

Phil

Kaspersky doesn't report any problems, nor do any of the Cakewalk forum members.

I'm not having any trouble accessing bandcamp.com, but I'm not seeing anything that looks like Sonar on their site (or any other software, for that matter.)

Could it be that it's just too early? (Especially if it was only announced recently).

Allegro Data Solutions

Hi everyone,

I haven't been around for a while but I look in from time to time.

I thought Cakewalk Sonar was acquired by Band camp as well when I first read it but it is actually Bandlab. Don't know much about them but I did download Sonar even though I tend to use DP these days. (I have the LE lite version of Sonar)

The link to read about it on the soundonsound website with the link to Bandlab to download Sonar is here if it helps you guys.

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/so...kewalk-bandlab

Hope that helps

All the best

Yvonne
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Thanks Yvonne, (also my wife's name).

My apologies for getting that wrong. I have updated the thread header.

Go Back to forum