• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Dark Side Of US

Share/Bookmark

The Dark Side Of US

Mostly electronic sounds with strings and choir.

The Dark Side Of US

Re: The Dark Side Of US

Hi Phil,

This is beautiful repetitive music with lovely legato strings. I like the choir sound as well en the electronic additions are well chosen. In one word, a splendid work! Congratulations.

Do I read some irony or sarcasm in the title?

Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Mostly electronic sounds with strings and choir.

The Dark Side Of US
    I like this - a lot. I have to say that I do not feel the "Dark Side" as much as I do a nice ambience, an urban stroll if you will. Very nicely done. Of course, the capital letters "US," may shade my impressions a bit.

Tom

Quite interesting.. You conjure up a realm, and then take your time manueuving around inside it. Seeing what it has to offer.. I like the way your mind works, when you create music.. it takes me to places, another composer wouldn't tread.. It's exploritory nature is beguiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Phil,

This is beautiful repetitive music with lovely legato strings. I like the choir sound as well en the electronic additions are well chosen. In one word, a splendid work! Congratulations.

Do I read some irony or sarcasm in the title?

Jos
    Hi Jos,

Your probably right about The irony and sarcasm. I prefer to post music and let the listener interpret/enjoy it. The SoundCloud file version includes a picture of the Earth in darkness. Maybe that says something. I was thinking about the Pink Floyd album Dark Side Of The Moon. That music was more about the dark side of the individual. I was going more for the social psychological view. It was personally an important part of my major in school.

For me at least, the first part is loosely based on a recent event in this country that caused great alarm and much finger pointing. It sort of sounds like a hoedown from hell if you think about it. What follows it is the emotional after math, first with the strings and then the choir with a very long tension and release. I think there could be some cross over of anguish to eroticism in the choral section. Maybe a primal love and death under current going on. Maybe I’m just a little twisted. Lol.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I like this - a lot. I have to say that I do not feel the "Dark Side" as much as I do a nice ambience, an urban stroll if you will. Very nicely done. Of course, the capital letters "US," may shade my impressions a bit.

Tom
    Thanks for you impression Tom,

I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Setting up my idea about this music would have ruined your stroll(not exactly a happy subject) so I’m glad I kept my mouth shut. The US was To have a double meaning.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    Quite interesting.. You conjure up a realm, and then take your time manueuving around inside it. Seeing what it has to offer.. I like the way your mind works, when you create music.. it takes me to places, another composer wouldn't tread.. It's exploritory nature is beguiling.
    Hey, angelonyc!

I think you have something there about how I work. If I was painting I’d probably first throw a lot of paint on the canvas and eventually start seeing something in it and then try to create some structured meaning out of it. Something like that.

Phil

You may agree with me when I say that I am thankful for the change in rules on Northernsounds regarding the use of Garritan sounds in every posted mix. Our newfound freedom allows for a wider range of musical expression and presentation that, in turn, gives the listener more insight to the poster’s creative mind. THE DARK SIDE OF US serves as an excellent example of what I mean. This piece is packed with fascinating elements, not only sonically but rhythmically as well! I really like this one, Phil! May I know what choral patch you are using in this inspired mix?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Damon View Post
    You may agree with me when I say that I am thankful for the change in rules on Northernsounds regarding the use of Garritan sounds in every posted mix. Our newfound freedom allows for a wider range of musical expression and presentation that, in turn, gives the listener more insight to the poster’s creative mind. THE DARK SIDE OF US serves as an excellent example of what I mean. This piece is packed with fascinating elements, not only sonically but rhythmically as well! I really like this one, Phil! May I know what choral patch you are using in this inspired mix?
    Hi Sean,

Glad you liked this one. I post at the KVR Music Cafe forum also. It’s an electronic music oriented site but on the whole they are also quite open minded about other genres and the mixing of genres.

The choir sounds are from Soundiron’s Olympus Choir Elements, taken from their massive Olympus Symphonic Choir Library.

Phil

Go Back to forum