• Register
  • Help

Topic: Contemplation - my second piece for guitar

Share/Bookmark

Contemplation - my second piece for guitar

The title refers to the stage between the euphoric moments of insight, a rather common music approach probably invented by LvB, these contrasts between melancholy and joy, the rhythmic and cantabile. I recognize myself in this tune but hope it could be of value for someone else too.
    All instruments are GPO, Audacity DAW was used only for amplification (maybe too much?)

Greetings,
    Kjell

https://soundcloud.com/user-89293915...-and-orchestra

Re: Contemplation - my second piece for guitar

Hi Kjell,

So nice that you posted this piece. It's so full of emotion, dreamy mood and introspection. Every moment reveals another feel or reflection. The way you use harmony, dynamics and tempo carries away every listener into your dream world. That is an accomplishment many composers are after!

As a rendition of midi music, there are however some weak points. You mainly use one articulation per instrument (sustain) and submerge the whole orchestral sound in a massive reverb cloud. That causes some muddiness which prevents us from hearing so many subtle details and orchestral depth. The left-right balance is OK, but the stage depth is as good as none. As a consequence you have to pull up the guitar volume to make it audible in the orchestral mass and that isn't always necessary: a clever stage placement can do the trick without any volume change. When all the instruments (sections) are seated correctly with the right reverb* the whole composition will shine and be more transparent. The overall reverb will no longer be necessary and yet every sound will have a room ambience according to its position and to the listener's position.

But that said, your composition is just fabulous and will be loved by so many people, just because it deals with genuine emotion, recognisable for every listener, with or without musical education. Isn't that fantastic? Isn't that exactly which we're all after?

(* convolution would be a better solution)

Congrats,

Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Very nice! A pretty work. All of the instruments sound very good. You did a good job on this. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Best,

Larry Alexander

Thank you Jos and Larry for your very nice and inspiring feedback. Very kind of you to listen and respond.

Jos, I appreciate also your constructive criticism. Your advice is most interesting since I actually also experience the guitar sound not to be optimal at certain instances. I want it to be soft and smooth but sometimes it is harsh or rough. And you most likely spotted the problem. It is true that I use forte at those instances and this seems to cause the problem. I am grateful Jos and will try your advice (if I am able).

Many thanks to both.

Kjell

Hi Kjell,

Yes, your Contemplation does reveal those fluid emotions within the listener with great care.

A beautiful and thouhtful work!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Hi Kjell,

Yes, your Contemplation does reveal those fluid emotions within the listener with great care.

A beautiful and thouhtful work!

Phil
    Many thanks Phil for your listen and nice feedback.

Kjell

Go Back to forum