• Register
  • Help

Topic: An Advanced Cello that Sounds like GPO Cello #2

Share/Bookmark

An Advanced Cello that Sounds like GPO Cello #2

One of my all time favorite sounding cellos is cello #2 from GPO. Today, I just purchased the Bohemian Cello from Virhamonic, and it sounds like a spitting image of cello #2 from GPO but with all of the advanced technology and articulations such as portamento etc. It's a really great cello library. If you are like me who likes cello #2 from GPO, you will like this.

https://www.virharmonic.com/bohemian_cello

Regards,
    Richard

Re: An Advanced Cello that Sounds like GPO Cello #2

Had a listen to the demos. Not too shabby, though will reserve judgement until heard/used in person.

I wanted to ask though, since I haven't used anything that runs on UVI, how does the copy protection work? Their page says you can authorize onto 3 computers, or iLok devices?
    -- Matt Wong

Hey Matt,

You will need to download the iLok software and also create an iLok account if you don't have one. Once you purchase the cello there will be serial number beside the download. You will then authorize the serial on the vilharmonic site. There will be spot to enter your serial and to enter the name of your iLok account username. After you register, you go into the iLok software and then activate in in there. You should see your pc in the list. You will then activate the cello license to the pc. After that, just load her up, and you gotta really good cello! It's also easy right out of the box. No need to mess with CC, it does auto dynamics (MP, F, etc) with velocity. This is a big thing for me because I hate CC! I also got their violin, works the same way and also a nice and authentic sounding violin.

EDIT: Below is a short test I did, this is right out of the box. I used the emotive play style for slow emotional playing which is what that style was designed for. I used the mid-arc option on the second repeat. This is used for nice slow pieces as well, arc has even a longer attack. You can see the different types of legatos and dynamics changing. I am only using velocity and no cc. The cello auto switches between legatos and sometimes does portamento as well. You can use the key switches at anytime if you want to use them in desired spots. Such a spitting image of cello #2 from GPO.

Regards,
    Richard

I've got an iLok device for some older stuff, so I guess I could just auth it to there, though I don't end up switching computers too often. Interesting they have a device-less iLok system now that it can use instead, huh, didn't know that.

Sounds pretty good there. I'll have to keep my eye on this one, though there are some other ones I've got my eye on/saving up for (namely, the Joshua Bell violin from Embertone... !!!)
    -- Matt Wong

I have both the early cello and violin from Embertone, but I stopped buying their products because of their Kontakt scripting. It doesn't work well with Sonar 8.5. I should upgrade, but I just like Sonar 8.5 the best. Both the cello and violin hang on the last played note if you stop playback without finishing. The only way to stop it is to remove the plugin, to play the hanging note via piano roll, or to restart and let the whole thing play from beginning to end. Otherwise, I would say Embertone has quality indeed. I also purchased Omnisphere 2, and it's worth every single dollar. It's one of the best investments. It has a lot of content, and very useful content.

Regards,
    Richard

Go Back to forum