• Register
  • Help

Topic: Be careful with the ARIA engine update.

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Be careful with the ARIA engine update.

To all and sundry who, like me, are dinosaurs still running Windows XP.

The latest ARIA engine update numbered 1.9.3.3 is not to be recommended for use with XP (at the time of writing).
    When I installed it I found that neither the VST nor the stand alone versions of ARIA would load.
    I got a message saying "Cannot find ARIA engine component, please re-install, so I did to no effect.

So I contacted the Garritan support desk, but they are a little slow when it comes to ARIA errors, quite understandably, because ARIA is created by Plogue and licensed to Garritan.
    I forgot this, but when I remembered I posted a query to the Plogue ARIA forum on Sunday evening and had already received a reply when I logged in again on Monday morning. Incredible.
    As I had started to suspect, they suggested that the very latest update may not be compatible with XP.

They suggested I un-install the ARIA engine and the ARIA player and re-install to 1.872 player.
    But ... that didn't work. I still got the same error.
    So I re-ran the engine uninstall, but noticed upon looking inside the Program Files\Plogue\Aria directory that there were still two .dll files left, that the un-install program had failed to remove.

I deleted them manually - "file - delete".
    Then I un-installed the ARIA player too.

Then I re-installed ARIA player 1.872 and tried to start the stand alone player.
    Yippee! It worked.

So I ran the re-install for the ARIA engine to version 1.9.1.6, which fortunately I'd kept a copy of.
    Then tried to run the stand-alone again and ... yes, success with that too.

So ... be forewarned, at the time of writing (5th of Feb. 2018) the ARIA engine version 1.9.3.3 seems to be incompatible with Windows XP.
    If, like me you've inadvertently installed that version, then un-install both the engine to be found in the Aria directory under Program Files \ Plogue. In addition you'll have to delete the two remaining .dll files.

Then un-install the ARIA program found in the \Program Files\Garritan\ARIA player. In both cases there's a program called "unins000.exe" in the directory.

Now you can run the installer for ARIA player 1.872 and then the installer for ARIA engine 1.9.1.6.

If you've lost your copy, I can provide a copy temporarily, by request.
    Really it should come from Plogue or Garritan.
    I don't want to step on any corporate toes here vis a v copyright.

That's it folks.
    John G.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Re: Be careful with the ARIA engine update.

Interesting.. and a little scary. I wonder if the same would happen with other older versions like Vista and 7?

Did Plogue limit their response strictly to Xp?

I'm still running Windows 7, albiet the 64-bit version.
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Re: Be careful with the ARIA engine update.

Quote Originally Posted by BVstudios View Post
    Interesting.. and a little scary. I wonder if the same would happen with other older versions like Vista and 7?

Did Plogue limit their response strictly to Xp?

I'm still running Windows 7, albiet the 64-bit version.
    Well, since I only asked about XP,that was all that was covered with their response.

I suspect, only suspect mark you, that all current versions of Windows would be well covered and thoroughly tested. What I rather gather from the exchange is that they now have difficulty testing their software for operating systems no longer supported. I suppose they no longer possess a PC with XP on it.

However, what happens when Win 7 is no longer supported I don't know.
    I've personally decided never to move to Win 10.

Here's the exchange: https://www.plogue.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8232
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Go Back to forum