• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Rondo giocoso

Share/Bookmark

Re: Rondo giocoso

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Dear Jos,
    I reply here for the entire Concerto I am listening in his whole from your website.
    You did a very good job with it, so musically well crafted, performed and A-class enginereed.
    Did you played the accordion live or is it a sample based instrument?

You know Italian accordions are much appreciated in the world, but no longer popular as in the past, not to mention the fact that the instrument is almost unknown outside the folk community.
    Still there are some stellar players of traditional dances in Sardinia —check for "organetto" players, I'm sure you'll find some on YouTube.

Contemporary Finnish composer Kalevi Aho wrote a concerto and few smaller pieces for the accordion. Not your piece of cake, I suppose…
    I wish I would have played it myself and even if I could, it would be impossible with my 'classical' accordion training. In my learning years, there was no such a thing like conservatory training for the accordion. Everything was private tuition and that was as good as the teacher himself... No levels, no rules, no programs to run through; in one word: total freedom for the teacher. I envy the younger generation who has full acces to a strict classical training nowadays for the accordion and bayan. Sorry to have disappointed you...

(BTW, I thought that the Italian word for accordion was the 'fisarmonica'?)

Thanks for listening to the whole piece. A conductor advised me to send the concerto to all the directors of the Belgian music academies to be performed at proclamations of finishing students. (Which was the actual intention).

Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

(BTW, I thought that the Italian word for accordion was the 'fisarmonica'?)
    Yes, "fisarmonica" refers to the accordion in its known conventional form.
    "Organetto" is for smaller folk instruments,usually with buttons, spread all around Italy. Traditions in performance vary approximately every 1km, as is for everything in this Country (food, dialects, the way things are named and coffee is served, etc.)

Glad to hear Concerto will have academic exposure and chances to be performed!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Totally EXCELLENT.. I appreciate the time it took for the piece to mature, and get re-worked to it's present state.

Could you tell us what libraries you used, and DAW?.. Your pieces technically and sound wise are spot on..

I loved the transition at 57 seconds..

The popularity of home organs exploded in the US in the late 50's. Lowery, Hammond organs and another brand or two were exploding. Hammond Organ set up a franchise more or less. There was a Hammond organ store every couple of towns. Some were legit shops, some were really just homes.. They put quite a push on it.. Accordians seemed to get pushed into the background because of it.. They were almost made fun of. In the rush for immigrants to become 'Americans', they were put into the closet, as the US tried to embrace the newest and (best(?)).

Too bad, they are an exquisite piece of technology, quite clever actually, with all the varieties and clever variations from different manufactures.

Your piece really shows it in a nice spotlight..

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the listen and the kind comment.

I used Studio One Pro (Presonus), because it works together (more or less) with the notation program NOTION (Presonus as well).
    As for the accordion, that was Ilya Efimov's Bayan, through the Kontakt Player.

Sometimes I do the final mastering in Logic X Pro, but this time everything was mastered within Studio One. When the mix is OK, mastering is a piece of cake (only some master EQ and limiting).

Thanks,
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

Besides composition, arranging, you seem quite adept with production, sound engineering. Your pieces are very professional sounding.

Yes, it took me quite a few years to realize, that with the right arrangement, and choice of instrument patches. that mixing can be fairly easy. I sometimes use Izozone's mastering plug-in or Slate Digital FG-X . They can add just the right touch to a piece. But occasionally, I get a piece where I don't need to use those plug-ins.

I've heard a lot of good comments about Studio One.. I've used Logic since Emagic days, so I slow to make the jump to another DAW..

I make use of limiters sometimes. Often I commit a no-no. I go into Logic audio editor, and destructive change some of the volumes of transients. Not too much.. But this way I no longer have to use a limiter on them..

I prefer to use as little EQ as possible. Sometimes one is forced too however. The great thing about sample libraries, is that they are continuously getting better and better.

I jut purchased a Teccontrol Breath and Bite controller. (coming from Sweden- haven't got it yet).. It positively makes The SWAM virtual instruments sound magical. The SWAM virtual instruments use 'sample modeling'. and have an extremely small footprint.. But they have a huge amount of controller CC's available to modulate.. I'm almost afraid to dig into it.

But a good challenge, and learning something new, is good for the brain, espectially for seniors.. I start to find myself shying away from learning new things. But I know it's important to keep challenging the brain..

Which makes music a perfect pastime.. There is ALWAYS something new to learn.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

Let's continu the technical analysis in a private message.

Jos
    Jos Wylin

Well,now, I an impressed by your Your performance skills as well as your compositional expertise.

I had no idea that an accordian was capable of such beautiful sounds. Your remarks about the free bass accordian were an awakening for me!I searched fhe unlimited encylopedia and learned enough about it to make me buy one right now!!!

My experience with the instrument is limited to two episodes, once in about 1941 and once more in 1963. I am now tempted to begin the struggle of adding the instrment to my catalog of skills. However, age must be factored into my deliberations. Iam not sure if I have the strength to manage the bellows!

Richard

Thanks Richard.

It was and has always been my primary intention to highlight the modern accordion in both sound and playability. It has become a full featured classical instrument with the same orchestral and solo capabilities as most of the commonly known instruments. Only in some countries (and I can count the States in) people are rather ignorant of the accordion evolution and development during the last 50 years. This concerto functions a bit as my personal crusade the change the general attitude towards the accordion/bayan. Let's hope that the real performances follow and finish the job!

Thanks,
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

Upon hearing this final movement to your gorgeous concerto, I can unequivocally reaffirm my respect and admiration for you as a composer, arranger, and MIDI sequencer! Bravo, Jos! Bravo!

Thanks Sean, this is too much honour. It is the result of tedious, hard and long labour. But indeed, the final result is rewarding. Hopefully it gets picked up by young soloists, which was the actual intention.

Thanks for listening and commenting.
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

Go Back to forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12