• Register
  • Help

Topic: Printer Paper Advice.

Share/Bookmark

Printer Paper Advice.

For years, I have used Hammermill paper for my score printing, 24 - 28 lb, 97 brightness. Suddenly I realized that my problems reading scores were only on my own scores. Reading Henle editions is easy because the size and brightness are just right.

I need input on brightness of paper. I don't know what the difference would be between 97 and 92. 97 creates too much glare. Comments and recommendations urgently needed. Can't play my own compositions because the paper is too bright!! I could possibly get some advice from the local print store, but information from musicians would be more meaningful to me.

Richard

Re: Printer Paper Advice.

I never imagined that someone would ask a question regarding paper brightness in this forum.
    An instrument, called (interestingly) a brightness tester, is used to "measure" brightness. An industry standard ceramic plate is used to calibrate the reflected light intensity from this standard, then the same is tested on paper. Your over 90 brightness is very high.(I used to buy Hammermill paper as a coating base at 86 brightness.) 100 brightness would be the brightness of the standard. Without an instrument you would not see the difference in brightness say between 90 and 95.
    I would suggest to look for the least expensive paper for your printing needs, at Staples, or Best Buy, where the brightness will be around 86. (Various bleaching chemicals are used to achieve brightness of the fibers, the more is used the higher the cost and weaker the paper.) The only concern you can have if you worry about permanence that the paper should not contain ground-wood (eventually ground-wood containing paper would fade to yellow).If you are interested, you could call the paper-mill making your paper, and ask a technical person if the paper was made in acid or alkaline conditions. Today, alkaline is preferred for permanence.

Have a nice day my friend

Ted

Re: Printer Paper Advice.

Thank you, Ted. That is precisely the information that I was needing. Now I can proceed.

Richard

Go Back to forum