• Register
  • Help

Topic: Daddy's Girl

Share/Bookmark

Daddy's Girl

While I was working on my Garritan Christmas song for this year, I was also very busy writing and recording wedding music. My oldest daughter was married back in December, and she had requested that I write a song for the father/daughter dance. I kept this song a secret, right up until the time of the dance, so it was a real surprise for her. Not a dry eye in the reception hall! The song uses a lot of Garritan instruments including one of the newer GPO5 pianos, string sections from IO and from GPO5. There's a smidgen of EastWest Hollywood Strings blended in, but it's mostly Garritan. The acoustic guitars are real. Have a listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DQOXUmlk58

Jim

Re: Daddy's Girl

Hi Jim,

I can imagine that this beautiful song was very emotional. It is not only a very good song for the occasion, it's absolutely well written textually and musically and a fantastic midi performance.

Great, thanks for sharing!
    Jos

Thank you for the kind words, Jos! Glad you liked it!

Jim

My eye did not stay dry either. Great song from an obviously great Father.

Ted

Thank you Ted!

Jim

Wow... hearing your set-up of the song, and the beauty of the song, instrumentation, the quality and adeptness of emotion of the singer all work together for that 'prosidy'.. What an incredible gift to give your daughter.. I'm crying right now.. The repeated use of the descending chords, the drop downs. The repeating of the title.. a really incredible piece of writing. The Garritan libraries, work excellently.

That is one of the best examples of writing something on demand, I have ever heard. it is very heartfelt, and honest. The musical devices you chose to use and where you placed them really direct the listeners emotion to what you want to achieve. a smile, a slight biting of the edge of the lip, a tear in the corner of her eye, and deeper heartfelt tears form the other listeners in the room..

That is a true use of power, creativity, emotional direction, and control for a beautiful effect.

Often songs written on demand for an occasion have a forced quality to them or over sentimentality.. you walk the fine line here with expertise, making it appear like it just happened by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    Wow... hearing your set-up of the song, and the beauty of the song, instrumentation, the quality and adeptness of emotion of the singer all work together for that 'prosidy'.. What an incredible gift to give your daughter.. I'm crying right now.. The repeated use of the descending chords, the drop downs. The repeating of the title.. a really incredible piece of writing. The Garritan libraries, work excellently.

That is one of the best examples of writing something on demand, I have ever heard. it is very heartfelt, and honest. The musical devices you chose to use and where you placed them really direct the listeners emotion to what you want to achieve. a smile, a slight biting of the edge of the lip, a tear in the corner of her eye, and deeper heartfelt tears form the other listeners in the room..

That is a true use of power, creativity, emotional direction, and control for a beautiful effect.

Often songs written on demand for an occasion have a forced quality to them or over sentimentality.. you walk the fine line here with expertise, making it appear like it just happened by itself.
    Wow, thank you angelonyc for your detailed critique, and your kind comments!

Jim

Go Back to forum