• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Topic: ~ ~ Austin - Mist on the Hills ~ ~

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    ~ ~ Austin - Mist on the Hills ~ ~

    Hello again,

    One of my interests in music, as you may already know,
    is to discover forgotten/hidden gems and bring them out to light.

    I have never heard about Austin Ernest until I found this score,
    a piano piece, the third from his 'Piano Pieces'.

    The more I played it the more I liked it.
    Finally I had an urge to orchestrate it.

    So, here it is. Enjoy the discovery!


    Mist on the Hills


    ~ Yudit ~

  2. #2

    Re: ~ ~ Austin - Mist on the Hills ~ ~

    I quite like it. A lovely piece of music.. Inspiring, refreshing. Interesting to hear this with no reference to the original. The repeating melody, does settle in nicely. The sparse use of instruments, adds to its charm.

    Very nice.

  3. #3

    Re: ~ ~ Austin - Mist on the Hills ~ ~

    Hi Yudit,

    Indeed a lovely piece of music, beautifully set for orchestra. Alas, something went wrong in the stereo balace. Almost all events play on the left hand side, there's hardly anything going on on the right sidel. (see picture) I've made a screenshot of the audiofile imported in my DAW. It's obvious that there's something wrong with the balance. It can have two possible causes: either the main group of all your instruments are situated left, or the balance slider is positioned to the left (should be perfectly in the middle). It's worth reworking the balance, since it's such a nice piece of music!

    Screenshot

    Jos
    Last edited by Max Hamburg; 01-23-2018 at 02:31 AM. Reason: wrong link in original reply
    Jos Wylin

    http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

  4. #4

    Re: ~ ~ Austin - Mist on the Hills ~ ~

    Dear Yudit,
    this a truly lovely piece of music. It is nicely orchestrated and the main theme is so beautiful that I don't mind at all it being repeated so many times.
    I listened to this yesterday evening just before bedtime already but was too tired to comment. When I woke up in the middle of the night as usual I had this tune in my head and with its marvelous sound and melody I became calm again and could fall asleep without walking around as usual. I thank you for that.
    Have you found more stuff from this unknown composer? Maybe there is a treasure...
    Very well done.

    Kjell

  5. #5
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    3,121

    Re: ~ ~ Austin - Mist on the Hills ~ ~

    Yudit,


    This is a very nice pastoral work and delicately orchestrated.

    Perfect for clearing out one’s daily concerns before sleep.

    I see there are a few Youtube vids of his music. I use an iOS app that eliminates the ads.



    Phil

  6. #6

    Re: ~ ~ Austin - Mist on the Hills ~ ~

    Quote Originally Posted by ;819235
    I quite like it. A lovely piece of music.. Inspiring, refreshing. Interesting to hear this with no reference to the original. The repeating melody, does settle in nicely. The sparse use of instruments, adds to its charm.

    Very nice.
    Hello angelonyc,

    As far as I searched there is no recording of this piece anywhere.
    So I'm also working on the piano score and will post it later.

    Now that I think of it, I may have been drawn to this piece because of the repetitions...

    I liked your description of how this sounded to you.

    Thanks for listening!


    ~ Yudit ~

  7. #7

    Re: ~ ~ Austin - Mist on the Hills ~ ~

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Yudit,

    Indeed a lovely piece of music, beautifully set for orchestra. Alas, something went wrong in the stereo balace. Almost all events play on the left hand side, there's hardly anything going on on the right sidel. (see picture) I've made a screenshot of the audiofile imported in my DAW. It's obvious that there's something wrong with the balance. It can have two possible causes: either the main group of all your instruments are situated left, or the balance slider is positioned to the left (should be perfectly in the middle). It's worth reworking the balance, since it's such a nice piece of music!

    Screenshot

    Jos
    Hi Jos,

    You are right, it looks unbalanced.
    But to my ears it sounds ok.

    I have tried at first other placements, but it didn't sound good,
    so I changed.

    I think it also depends on which instruments are grouped together at each side.
    It also depends on one's sound equipment and on one's ears...

    I appreciate your feedback and many thanks for listening.


    ~ Yudit ~

  8. #8

    Re: ~ ~ Austin - Mist on the Hills ~ ~

    Hi Yudit,

    HTML Code:
    I think it also depends on which instruments are grouped together at each side.
    It also depends on one's sound equipment and on one's ears...
    Indeed, you've probably placed too many instruments on one side, weighing a bit too much in the stereo balance. But the audio experience has actually nothing to do with the ears, nor with the equipment. The graphical representation is an absolute and pure objective measurement. The unbalance is in the ratio L-channel 90 %, R-channel about 10 %. (Sound is a logarithmic event and above 75 dB, every 3 dB means a doubling of the sound pressure.)

    I took the liberty to remaster your wonderful piece with mainly a correction in the stereo field. Since I don't have the separate instruments/groups, I couldn't alter anything in the spacial placement and depth. But still, a small correction gives a totally different impression. Maybe you won't like it, maybe you will. I found the composition far too beautiful to leave it as it was.

    Kindly,
    Jos

    Mist on the Hills ​ (revised version) (removed on 2018.30.1)
    Jos Wylin

    http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

  9. #9

    Re: ~ ~ Austin - Mist on the Hills ~ ~

    Quote Originally Posted by kjelleman View Post
    Dear Yudit,
    this a truly lovely piece of music. It is nicely orchestrated and the main theme is so beautiful that I don't mind at all it being repeated so many times.
    I listened to this yesterday evening just before bedtime already but was too tired to comment. When I woke up in the middle of the night as usual I had this tune in my head and with its marvelous sound and melody I became calm again and could fall asleep without walking around as usual. I thank you for that.
    Have you found more stuff from this unknown composer? Maybe there is a treasure...
    Very well done.

    Kjell
    Hello Kjell,

    That's really a pleasant surprise, for this music to have this effect on your sleeplessness.
    It takes a good composition to do this. I only expressed with it my own interpretation.

    Glad you listened!


    ~ Yudit ~

  10. #10

    Re: ~ ~ Austin - Mist on the Hills ~ ~

    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Yudit,

    This is a very nice pastoral work and delicately orchestrated.

    Perfect for clearing out one’s daily concerns before sleep.

    I see there are a few Youtube vids of his music. I use an iOS app that eliminates the ads.

    Phil
    Hi Phil,

    Delicate, pastoral. Just the right words to describe this piece!

    The delicateness is especially present in the original piano score.

    Many thanks for listening!


    ~ Yudit ~

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •