• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Puppet

Share/Bookmark

The Puppet

This is no.8 in the series of 12 short pieces. On next monday I will start with the 9th, etc.......
    Maybe some of you think that it could be a bit faster. That may be true, but the distances between the notes are so big that one needs some time to reach for them. I tried to play this myself and found out that the speed of M.M. 100 is appropriate for skilled amateurs.

The Puppet

Greetings,

Raymond

Re: The Puppet

Brilliant, Raymond.

Some kind of funny march with puppets in a parade. The dissonants are fully functional here adding some humoresque flavour to the piece. For sure an amusing piece for both the audience and the player!

Well done,
    Jos

Happy, playful, wonderful. It fills my body with its rhythm and surprising maneuvers.
    Nice work.

Kjell

Yes, very playful. I liked the dissonant notes also.. The ending is very well stated with descending melody and the final low note. Well thought out

Yes, it was a fun piece Raymond but also quite involved.

It has a sort of fractured circus imagery for me so the title describes it well.

Don Van Vlet, aka Captain Beefheart, worked with broken or even quite bizzare music structure but it was more blues/jazz based with often accompanying odd prose.

Phil

At first in the beginning this piece seems deceptively simple, humorous, but deeper things are at work here. Or is this the insight we start to perceive after spending half a century writing, studying music?

"Fractured circus imagery".. great insight.. you guys here are seriously good at what you do here.. And all have excellent insights to contribute.. This website is more advanced than any 'music appreciation course' I ever took in college. I'm going to need to excavate more storage area in my brain to hold and absorb what is happening in the forum.. Everyone's posts of their observations is very valuable.

This is advanced stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    At first in the beginning this piece seems deceptively simple, humorous, but deeper things are at work here. Or is this the insight we start to perceive after spending half a century writing, studying music?
    No, never. The only thing is grasping a book about music theory and preferably not too difficult. e.g Music Theory for Dummies to begin with. Second get some chord schemes, e.g. Piano Chord Dictionary. And last, explore Youtube for all sorts of pianomusic. From Bach to Prokofiev and listen. I always prefer those Youtubes with Audio+Sheet music. If this is going too fast, explore and search IMSLP for your favorite composers. Get a decent set of headphones and listen from morning till evening (stop every other hour, saving your ears). Don't take this litterally.

I am sure you will have a depression, some sense of inferiority. Sleepless nights, themes and melodies wander around in your brain, waiting to get channelled. Don't give up. Schubert had so many ideas, he always struggled getting them structured on paper (and notes). After several days you will wake up with a masterpiece in mind. Don't be disappointed when it is not, but the seed of creation is there.

How to climb the Mount Everest? Step by step. It doesn't take so long, in a couple of weeks (even days) your musical insight leads you to the very first composition. When I tell you that for this very piece I started 4 times all over. And even then I wrote down only a couple of bars, having some rest, re-arrange my brain with a beer (haha), and the next day some other bars followed until it is finished. [I have a drawback: I can't play the piano as good as I want - artrosis]. [Edited with the following:]

Of course you and I will never write a decent composition just after a few months of music study. It is not that easy. But start with some improvisations on well known melodies. Don't be shy, just begin. Many composers in the past never had decent composition lessons, they all were amateurs, but had the guts to start. The early works of Chopin aren't so good, but he evolved during his too short live. Talented of course. Mozart grew up in a family of musicians, Bach had some formal education on this subject and he, talented as he was, became our father of the most beautiful music ever written. I am almost 74 years of age and I also grew up in a family of music lovers, played the piano for 50 years, played the cello, in fact music came to me as a blood transfusion since my birth. Succesful or not, I started composing on a regular base at the age of 60, when my working life as ICT professional came to an end. Finally had the time for focussing on the important things in my life. And then it took some years to develop the skills and explore my talents furthermore. Way less than half a century. Most important in the whole traject is BEGIN !!!

This website is more advanced than any 'music appreciation course' I ever took in college. I'm going to need to excavate more storage area in my brain to hold and absorb what is happening in the forum.. Everyone's posts of their observations is very valuable. This is advanced stuff.
    In another thread Jos Wylin (Piccolo Accordeon concerto) told you that other forums are filled with ego-trippers, rude people, offending everyone with useless critics. Let them, we here at the Garritan Forum ,we appreciate each others work and creations even when the kind of music is not 'my cup of tea' .

Don't forget, Mahler used a very familiar melody for his 1st Symphony. And how beautiful this sounds!!! Parts 2 & 3 of Symphony 1.

Greetings,

Raymond

Everybody, many thanks for your comments. What to say more? It is just encouraging knowing that at least there are some similar musical souls in this world (oh boy, I am getting philosophic).

Greetings,

Raymond

I cannot think of a more apt title for this charming and wonderfully evocative piece for the piano! You really bring out the intrinsic percussive qualities of that beautiful instrument!

Go Back to forum