• Register
  • Help
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Topic: Christmas Album 2018 Special

Share/Bookmark

Re: Christmas Album 2018 Special

Hello Everyone,

Our Christmas Celebration Album 2018 Volume 15 Is Now Available.

I am delighted to announce that our rather excellent new album can now be viewed, played and downloaded. I would also draw attention to a little Anniversary video I've added.

Thank you to all those who gave of their time to offer a song for our album and to all those who supported our project. It is all greatly appreciated.

Special thanks, once again, to Dan for mastering our album and to Gary Garritan for founding our libraries and our tradition.

I would like to wish every contributor and the forums a very special and blessed Christmas.

Very best wishes,

Michael
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Once again Michael, you have exceeded yourself in pulling this entire project together "on time and on budget" as the saying goes.

Congratulations to you and to Dan for making it happen once again! I look forward to hearing the music, sharing it with friends and family and hopefully to a discussion about our respective song/arrangement choices on this page over the next several days.

Kevin
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

To start the discussion (I hope!)

To all who contributed I would ask you to join in and respond with a few words about your choices for this years album. For instance, what inspired your song choice?
    What moved your brain in the direction you took?
    Did you always hear it that way in your head, or were you driven by experimentation?
    Your Garritan instruments? Good choice or limiting? Any tweaks to share?

There are more trivia items about these songs, I am sure. I hope you're willing to share a little bit.
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Thank you Michael for the incredible job you have done again. Don's work and your video are all great.
    As to Garritan's sounds, I wish if the flute would have less (or controllable) vibrato....
    Thanks again to both of you.

Ted

A big thanks to everyone, and again to Michael for organizing everything, and Dan for the mastering. Hard to believe it's December already; the end of the year is upon us again.

For 'We Three Kings', I wanted to revisit the GPO Cello 2 again, which while having a nice tone to the samples, isn't exactly the easiest thing to try to do a solo with. Somewhere along the line, the idea settled on three kings, three parts, three verses, though I didn't have any particular correspondence between instrument or verse and persona in mind.
    -- Matt Wong

Many thanks to Michael, to Dan, and to all the contributors for making this album happen again this year! It sounds great!

For “What Child Is This?”, I wanted to change up the style a bit from what we are used to hearing. I was noodling around on the keys really late one night, playing with that opening theme, and sort of stumbled into this arrangement of the song. Between the 6/8 feel, the dropping bass line, and the slightly-changed melody, it reminds me of Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata” crossed with a bit of “The House of the Rising Sun.” I pushed RECORD and captured the idea while it was still fresh.

I didn’t have a lot of time this year, so I went with a simple arrangement, using one of the GPO5 pianos, the acoustic guitar from JABB, and cello and violin from GPO5. All parts were played in real-time from a Roland keyboard controller (piano recording was that original late-night first-take!), riding the mod wheel to get a lot of expression out of the solo strings. My favorite part of the song is the beginning of the second verse, when the cello enters, and the piano is playing a simple part up an octave.

Last year, I came across as beautiful song called “The Manger”, by the Piano Guys, which we used for a candle-lighting ceremony in my daughter’s wedding, and this song became very useful as a model to pattern the overall sound of the track after (general feel, sounds, reverb, levels, etc.).

Hope you like it! Merry Christmas to all!

Jim

It was fun reading about these arrangements and how they came about.
    Thanks to those who have shared their music.

"Some Children See Him"
    uses the Garritan CFX Grand Piano.

This is not my arrangement perse, but I transcribed it by ear from Dave Grusin's recording made many years ago on his Christmas CD.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
    Dan

I was thrilled that Michael and Dan allowed me to submit "two pieces." When Winter Comes (Promise of Spring) was written to be performed in an upcoming concert during one of two choir concerts I direct. It was mostly written to reflect the changing of the seasons and the ultimate promise that, after the cold of winter, there are birds telling us spring is not too far off, especially for those of us in wintry Wisconsin.

The arrangement of Silent Night was started a couple years ago. It features my sister Kathy on the vocal. I won't go into detail the work Dan did to pull this one off, as it was recorded with live instruments when the original track was done. Dan was able to take the original raw cuts of the vocal and create what you hear. I just added the instruments. It was amazing. I certainly couldn't have done it without him! When this was originally written, I had to arrange this for my sisters' range, so it took on a different color and texture from the original. There is also a second version of this piece written as a choral to be performed this Saturday by one of my choirs. Silent Night has been a real labor of love. And I have finally been able to get my sister's voice recorded, something I've wanted to do for years.

I hope to listen to each of everyone's recordings (such a busy time of year for me), and I'm quickly making copies to send to lots of friends and family. Speaking of which, does anyone here know of a company that can burn these discs professionally? Gary Garritan did that for us several years ago and the results were fantastic (and didn't cost us much). One of the problems I run into when I burn discs is they don't always play well, and I've tried this on two different computers. It'd be nice to have better copies to send out knowing they will perform better.

This has been such an honor to be a part of the Garritan family.

Merry Christmas to everyone here! May this be a time of reflection and of celebration.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    ..... As to Garritan's sounds, I wish if the flute would have less (or controllable) vibrato....
    Thanks again to both of you.

Ted
    Hello Ted,

There is a way to have controllable vibrato on the flute.

Just use the GPO5 'Flute Solo Non-Vib' patch then use 'Sonar' (which I believe you have) to apply after touch in the PRV ('ChanAft') to add as little or as much as you want. I used this to add some vibrato to the harmonica on my 'Gifts For The Country King' (2010 Volume 7) and it works very well.

Naturally, a sampled vibrato would be more desirable but the after touch method does an excellent job and is very convincing.

Here are some flute audio examples I just threw together very quickly using the 'Flute Solo Non-Vib' patch. I did these in Reaper but the process and the results are the same in Sonar.

Flute Solo Non-Vib patch as is, no after touch.

With full (MIDI Value 127) after touch vibrato.

With half (MIDI Value 64) after touch vibrato.

After touch vibrato fade in, hold, fade out, hold.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thanks a lot Michael, you are a Prince! I'll try it.

Ted

Go Back to forum
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast