• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Cellophane"

Share/Bookmark

"Cellophane"

All,

Here is my "Cellophane" for solo cello with harpsichord accompaniment.

Larry G. Alexander

Re: "Cellophane"

Very nice cello work, Larry. The solo is most original. The harpsichord is not only supporting, it's really participating and that makes it an interesting and pleasant piece, optimistic as usual.

Bravo for cellophane! (Don't forget the 'collophane' (= raisin).

Jos

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Very nice cello work, Larry. The solo is most original. The harpsichord is not only supporting, it's really participating and that makes it an interesting and pleasant piece, optimistic as usual.

Bravo for cellophane! (Don't forget the 'collophane' (= raisin).

Jos
    Thanks, Mister Max, my Belgium friend. My Flanders friend.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

My best to you.

Larry G. Alexander

Enjoyed listening to your Cellophane. Most of all, again, from about 2:20 that lurking ghost of JSB, it is brilliant as the cello is solo. Great phrase, He would be proud to own it...
    Congratulation

I appreciate your listening and responding, Mister Ted. Thanks very much.

Best,

Larry Alexander

It carries your signature, Larry, and it is a unique style you have been able to develop in a very creative and impressive way. I like your intense music and this time the solo part appears as a nice contrast to give me an impression of dynamics as well. Harpsichord is hard to tame but here you found a brilliant and appropriate task for it.
    I recently discovered that the harpsichord concerts that Bach composed very often nowadays are transcribed and transformed as piano concerts instead, which is probably a pity since it was not the intention of the composer. Therefore, it is great that you show the world the beauty potential of this instrument.

Greetings,
    Kjell

Quote Originally Posted by kjelleman View Post
    It carries your signature, Larry, and it is a unique style you have been able to develop in a very creative and impressive way. I like your intense music and this time the solo part appears as a nice contrast to give me an impression of dynamics as well. Harpsichord is hard to tame but here you found a brilliant and appropriate task for it.
    I recently discovered that the harpsichord concerts that Bach composed very often nowadays are transcribed and transformed as piano concerts instead, which is probably a pity since it was not the intention of the composer. Therefore, it is great that you show the world the beauty potential of this instrument.

Greetings,
    Kjell
    Thanks for all of the good words and compliments. I appreciate it.

Best,

You 'worked' both the cello and harpsichord. I liked the harpsichord stepping outside it's usual designation parameter.

The cello player is no slouch either.. A lot of movement.. It works very well. Enjoyed both instruments, 'stepping out'..

Nice work

Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    You 'worked' both the cello and harpsichord. I liked the harpsichord stepping outside it's usual designation parameter.

The cello player is no slouch either.. A lot of movement.. It works very well. Enjoyed both instruments, 'stepping out'..

Nice work
    Thank you for listening and commenting. Both instruments are sampled. There are no live players.

Regards,

Larry G. Alexander

The nice thing about sample libraries, virtual instruments; is you don't have to have a 'discussion' with the player about why you are stepping out beyond the normal expected performance of that instrument.

I was watching a video about Brian Wilson of the Beachboys in the recording studio. He was insistent that a studio musician play some chords, with 'weird' extensions on them.. They said, it just wasn't done, it would be awkward etc. They didn't realize that after he had the Beachboys lay down some dense 5 part harmony, those chord extensions would be 'right at home' and brilliant.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast