• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mendelssohn - string quartett in f minor op. 80 - for orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Mendelssohn - string quartett in f minor op. 80 - for orchestra

Last month I had posted my orchestration of Mendelssohn's wonderful Adagio from his last string quartett in f minor op. 80. Now I tried to do the same with one of the most dramatic string quartett movements I know - the first movement which he wrote under the devastating impression of the death of his beloved sister:

I. Allegro assai
    www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssohn_quartett-fm-1_orch.mp3

II. Adagio
    www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssohn_quartett-fm-3_orch.mp3

Gerd

Re: Mendelssohn - string quartett in f minor op. 80 - for orchestra

Really a tribute to Mendelssohn ! I am not so familiar with the original but with these pieces it is an invitation to listen to it as soon as possible. Great orchestration. Thank you for uploading.

Raymond

Hi Gerd,

Another marvellous orchestration of a true masterpiece. Mendelssohn is so delightful and delicate, but you handled it well, with respect to the original. Very nice!
    A few thoughts could maybe improve the sonic quality of your work: sometimes the woodwinds surpass the strings (which is not the classical orchestral seating) and push the violins to the background. The whole orchestration could benefit from a bit more of convolutional reverb (spacial placement) en clarity. Everything sounds a bit dark and dull, although the velocities and dynamics are pretty much OK. A brighter ambience would make your work shine, some more audible depth would make it very interesting!

But as a whole, and strictly musically: a great job!

Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Dear Jos,

Thank you for your kind remarks. For the Allegro I made some improvements in the panning settings of the instruments and in 2 Tutti passages I reduced the volume of the woodwinds. This is all I can do right now...

In case someone is interested, here is the score (not fully "beautified" yet):

www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssohn_quartett-fm-1_orch.pdf

Hi Gerd,

This version sounds much more 'open' and has more clarity (transparency). However, there is still a lack of reverb 'tail'. I don't know which reverb you're using, but when the music stops (or a phrase) suddenly, everything is simply cut off, whereas it should continu in the room for a couple of seconds (fading away). Your ambience (convolution) seems OK, but the tail length is too short for such a large ensemble. That is not so natural unless you play in a complete dry recording studio.
    But as mentioned, the overal orchestral sound has improved a lot, just like the depth. Keep up the good work!

Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Go Back to forum