• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mendelssohn - string quartett in f minor op. 80 - for orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Mendelssohn - string quartett in f minor op. 80 - for orchestra

Last month I had posted my orchestration of Mendelssohn's wonderful Adagio from his last string quartett in f minor op. 80. Now I tried to do the same with one of the most dramatic string quartett movements I know - the first movement which he wrote under the devastating impression of the death of his beloved sister:

I. Allegro assai
    www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssohn_quartett-fm-1_orch.mp3

II. Adagio
    www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssohn_quartett-fm-3_orch.mp3

Gerd

Re: Mendelssohn - string quartett in f minor op. 80 - for orchestra

Really a tribute to Mendelssohn ! I am not so familiar with the original but with these pieces it is an invitation to listen to it as soon as possible. Great orchestration. Thank you for uploading.

Raymond

Hi Gerd,

Another marvellous orchestration of a true masterpiece. Mendelssohn is so delightful and delicate, but you handled it well, with respect to the original. Very nice!
    A few thoughts could maybe improve the sonic quality of your work: sometimes the woodwinds surpass the strings (which is not the classical orchestral seating) and push the violins to the background. The whole orchestration could benefit from a bit more of convolutional reverb (spacial placement) en clarity. Everything sounds a bit dark and dull, although the velocities and dynamics are pretty much OK. A brighter ambience would make your work shine, some more audible depth would make it very interesting!

But as a whole, and strictly musically: a great job!

Jos

Dear Jos,

Thank you for your kind remarks. For the Allegro I made some improvements in the panning settings of the instruments and in 2 Tutti passages I reduced the volume of the woodwinds. This is all I can do right now...

In case someone is interested, here is the score (not fully "beautified" yet):

www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssohn_quartett-fm-1_orch.pdf

Hi Gerd,

This version sounds much more 'open' and has more clarity (transparency). However, there is still a lack of reverb 'tail'. I don't know which reverb you're using, but when the music stops (or a phrase) suddenly, everything is simply cut off, whereas it should continu in the room for a couple of seconds (fading away). Your ambience (convolution) seems OK, but the tail length is too short for such a large ensemble. That is not so natural unless you play in a complete dry recording studio.
    But as mentioned, the overal orchestral sound has improved a lot, just like the depth. Keep up the good work!

Jos

One year ago I posted my favourite first Allegro string quartett movement for orchestra - from Mendelssohns last quartett. Now I recorded it again with Noteperformer and I am amazed how much better and more dramatic it has become:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssoh...-fm-1_orch.mp3
    http://www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssoh...-fm-1_orch.pdf

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssoh...1_orch_old.mp3 (old version)

Gerd

Hi Gerd,

I enjoyed your virtual production of this Medelssohn Allegro. It’s quite a complicated work to reproduce and was very skillfully done.

Listening to this, I felt maybe Medelssohn wasn’t expressing his grief as much as expressing tribute to the spirit of his sister and for all humanity.

Phil

Quite a serious undertaking. and extremely well done. I agree with Phil - Yes, the piece also expressed a lot of energy, motion, although there was some darkness, and tragic quality in a couple of sections it demonstrates power and aliveness to me.

I love how the piece seemingly covers miles of musical landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    ... I love how the piece seeming covers miles of musical landscape.
    Thank you Phil and angelonyc, for your encouragement! I am so very happy now also to present the wonderful Adagio which for me is one of the most beautiful and deep felt Adagios of chamber music and certainly Mendelssohn's most personal Adagio. It is breathtaking as a sublime and intimate string quartett movement as well as a symphonic orchestra movement which I tried to a accomplish here:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssoh...-fm-3_orch.mp3

Gerd

Quote Originally Posted by gprengel View Post
    Thank you Phil and angelonyc, for your encouragement! I am so very happy now also to present the wonderful Adagio which for me is one of the most beautiful and deep felt Adagios of chamber music and certainly Mendelssohn's most personal Adagio. It is breathtaking as a sublime and intimate string quartett movement as well as a symphonic orchestra movement which I tried to a accomplish here:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssoh...-fm-3_orch.mp3

Gerd
    This is quite grand. I enjoy the pacing of Mendelssohn when he moves from one 'musical scene' to another. The build-ups, in complexity, volume, ramp-downs are so well designed. Your performance of it is excellent.

Go Back to forum