• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tribute to the capitol of Europe

Tribute to the capitol of Europe

here is my first attempt to compose something for guitar, actually two of them, supported by just four instruments. I have been many times to the capitol of Europe, but only in my dreams (Manfred Mann lyrics...):

Re: Tribute to the capitol of Europe

A nice warming piece. Thank you for sharing.

Ellendale, ND

Very interesting and effective orchestration. Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by kjelleman View Post
    here is my first attempt to compose something for guitar, actually two of them, supported by just four instruments. I have been many times to the capitol of Europe, but only in my dreams (Manfred Mann lyrics...):

Well done Kjell.

This is a very special composition in a somewhat unusual arrangement for an unusual ensemble. I like the guitars a lot. They start somewhat mechanically, but then the begin to play in real flamenco style with some surprising chords..
    The trombone however doesn't sound realistic enough. It's too soft and stays abnormally in the background in such a small group soft instruments (wouldn't a bassoon fit in better?). The rest is superb. It was a real pleasure to listen to such a sweet composition: calm, smooth, relaxing...

A great job!
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Shelton, Washington State

Hi Kjell,

This was a thoughtful and emotionally relaxing piece.

Classical guitar is always calming to the soul.

I wonder if the track could use a little more amplitude. I had to crank it up close to the top of my volume control. Maybe it’s just a soft piece.

The trombone in a live performance would over power the guitars but miking the guitars could solve that issue.

Sounds good. Maybe use another instrument for trombone, but the whole is just great. I am not a guitar player but for me you are an expert. Nice.

Richard, Tom, Jos, Phil and Raymond.
    Thanks to all of you for listening and commenting. It is truly appreciated.

Jos, your reflections are always worthwhile and I am happy that you noted the Flamenco touch which was one of my ambitions. Also, the guitar concerts by Rodriguez is an inspiration. Nice suggestion with the bassoon. But trumpet or brass is more usual in spanish/flamenco but musically a bassoon is worth trying.

Phil, I mixed some libs which resulted in an unusual soft output which I unfortunately am unable to improve and I agree that an amplification of the guitars would be needed in case of live performance.

Raymond, yes instead of the trombone a trumpet is more natural to keep the spanish flavour or a bassoon as Jos suggests to get it more classical.

Thank you guys for your kind comments. Life is learning.

Yes, as Fastlane said, 'Thoughtful' is a great adjective to use describe your unassuming masterpiece. I love how it develops.. Your pacing and execution is excellent. And letting the different instruments 'surface' to the top for move exposure is handled with fitness. I understand your comment about the volume of certain sections being a function of a 'soft volume' library, you couldn't have 'rode the volume' or automated volume for those few spots?

The piece creates a very interesting mood, atmosphere. You might consider the guitars, which play in in same register, along with other instruments at some points.. To let one of them go an octave up, or transpose, some of their notes an octave up. or possibly find another library to draw from, so they each have their own 'sound' or personality..

Yes, trombone work well in much of it, in some passages, more staccato notes might help it. (possible for a trombone to get more staccato - it usually does have a longer attack to it). 5:17 it the instrument struggles, with it's long attack.

The 'guitar surface clicks?, artifacts' were somewhat distracting. Sometimes in cases where i want to use an instrument artifact', I record it separately, lower volume, sometimes EQ it duller'.

Another thought might be to give more spotlight to vibes, Let vibes take lead melody, and one of the two guitars do the supporting work for that section.

They acoustic rhythm guitar takes up a lot of sonic palette, leaving less room, making more work for various instruments to rise to the top. Possibly lower it's volume, look for a more delicate sound for it, to have less of a sonic footprint.

Sometimes after I have got the melodic material of a piece together. I put the DAW on loop and listen for quite a while.

I sit with a notepad, write down observations that arise, with more listenings. Then sometimes go back change voicings, even instruments. This is coming from a more sonic viewpoint. Having established your sound palette (instruments used) before you begin, makes you have to approach it.

I've been caught up with the analogy of a good piece of music to a movie or TV production.. In an acting production, you have a set number of actors, and their roles are defined by the characters they play.. Their backgrounds, their outfits. Each one is defined, so the dialog spoken are assigned to the right actor, whose 'character - back story' are the most suitable and authentic.

As you write a piece, 'the character, or role' a certain instrument becomes more obvious. And you discover what notes, and melodic motifs are 'in character' for that instrument. And yes, the instruments can stretch their boundaries too, Like employing 'guitar harmonics', octaves, slide ups/downs to notes, guitar fingering a vibrato for some note, etc.

Of course these more subtle things, are a function of the particular library you are using.

One final observation, the acoustic bass, might have gone into it's highest registers, and functioned as the melodic instrument for a passage..

I didn't mean to through in my own personal 'music philosophy lecture here'. A lot of it is are just my 'suppose ifs'..Also what you have done excites me to the point or fantasizing about it..

The piece certainly STANDS ON IT'S OWN. It's when I hear a piece that get's my mind working like this, that is a sign of GOOD work.

This composition has quite a bit of insight, and forethought put into it. Well done.

thank you for your warm words and your many thoughtful and interesting points which I certainly will consider, in particular raising the guitar an octave and better attack on the trombone. I do want to stay focused on the guitar and the trombone however since these represents for me the spanish/sevillan/roman style (trombone or trumpet or similar).

Interesting point on the bass melody command. I have tried that in the Goblins tune that I posted recently. However, the duration on the bass is so short that the pitch is hard to hear (this relation between duration and pitch is also the basis for Heisenberg´s uncertainty relation in quantum mechanics and appears also in electromagnetic signal transfer, i.e. the longer signal the trustier frequency determination). Nevertheless, it is one of my continuous ambitions to let the bass register control the melody and upper register supporting, which I believe appears too seldom in modern music.

I wish you all the best and hope to hear from you soon again.

Go Back to forum