• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Concerto Piccolo for accordion and chamber orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Concerto Piccolo for accordion and chamber orchestra

Hi all,

This time I would like to present a thoroughly reworked version of my accordion concerto. The first movement is ready.

It was quite an accomplishment, since I tried to make it within Vienna Ensemble Pro with an accordion instance in Kontakt 5. It appeared soon that VE and Kontakt are not the best of cooperating friends... In fact they hate each other and cause continuous crashes. I really had to abandon VE and reinstall everything in my DAW. Not too difficult, because of the limited number of tracks (14). Now I've saved the whole setup as a template and I can easily move on to the next parts.

The accordion is the Efimov bayan (in Kontakt 5). A beautifully sounding instrument, but very limited in use: no velocities, only 4 articulations, a logarithmic dynamic expression (which makes it hard to apply delicate changes in the higher volumes). In short, quite an adventure again, sometimes in despair, sometimes with joy. You know the feeling!

Enjoy the Allegro divertente .

Youtube version: Allegro divertente

Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Re: Concerto Piccolo for accordion and chamber orchestra

Hi Jos,

This is a very enjoyable piece indeed.
    The use of the accordion gives it a folkloristic touch.
    It also is, for me, a music one can dance to.

Well done!

~ Yudit ~

Heard it before in a pre-release, but again it is something wonderful, joyful and nicely rendered piece of music. Enjoyed it again. Just a sparkling feast of music. Congratulations, Jos/Max.

Raymond

Not at all what I expected. Very masterfully done displaying a unique sound and technique. Bravo.

Just one word: Bravo!!!

A cordial thanks to all for listening.

I'm an accordion player myself and wanted to honour the underestimated and yet so rich instrument. All over the world there are very good accordionists nowadays with a professional conservatory training, playing demanding concert pieces with the best orchestras. Unfortunately, almost all pieces are Eastern European (mostly Russian) because the bayan (Russian button accordion) has been a long tradition and first instrument in Russia.
    This concerto (piccolo) was written to give young students the opportunity to start with a chamber orchestra in an intermediate level and understandable for a broad audience.
    Alas, the accordion stays in the opinion of most people an easy folk instrument to play street tunes with and to dance to on popular folk dance parties. That has changed since many years.

Up to the next movement!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

Oh, such a lovely tune. I feel the rhythm in my body and for certain it inspires to dance. It is ingenious to bring in the accordion here, a perfect choice of instrument. It reminds me of the creativity of Mr Mozart.
    I will include it my new years list of music that we will play tonight and dance to.
    Happy new year, Jos.

Kjell

Thanks Kjell.

Although it was not intended to dance to, it's a welcome side effect. The second part will be ready soon. It will be a total contrast (a lot more intimate).

Thanks for listening and a happy New Year!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

That is a great sounding instrument and also some fine writing for it. Nice one.

The accordion hasn't been my favorite instrument in the past but you may have changed my mind. I like the sound and your composition.

Best,

Larry G. Alexander

Thanks Larry,

Mission accomplished then...

Happy New Year and good health!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast