• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Richard Strauss

Share/Bookmark

Richard Strauss

This is not very Xmas music, but I am for the past four months floored by the Four Last Songs of Strauss, and I thought some of you did not hear them, or if you did it was a long ago and you may enjoy it again.
    If you are willing to listen (Renee Fleming, Eischenbach and Munchen) learn from this master how he handles a melody.
    It is over 9 minutes, so try it only if you have time. Nobody can listen and not squeeze out a tear on this beauty. This is the last of the four, "Abendrot" , Evening red.

https://app.box.com/s/uc6wq9bsx6j9vqomdnyblxmqscm2cnir

Re: Richard Strauss

Hi Ted,

You've hit my soul and heart here (in a positive way)! R. Strauss is my greatest example by far for orchestration and melody shaping. The first time I heard Zarathustra, I didn't know what I was hearing. That was to my ears music from another world, from an unearthly level. It was such a pity that his unequalled talent was captured by the SS during the war. He was lightyears ahead of all his experimenting contemporaries, ending up in awkward sound designing and instrument torturing... I have no words to describe his mastership. Maybe you understand now my way of orchestrating a bit more, but I don't come anywhere near the heels of R. Strauss.

So many thanks for reminding us with this gem of his true and genuine superb musicality! This is a Christmas treat for sure.

Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

I fully agree with Max/Jos. As an answer to this, it is almost a Christmas song, "Wiegenlied" sung by Jessye Norman, GewandhausOrchestre Leipzig (Kurt Masur). Recorded in 1982; from Songs with Orchestre - Richard Strauss.

I only have the words in German.

Träume, träume, du mein süßes Leben,
    Von dem Himmel, der die Blumen bringt.
    Blüten schimmern da, die leben
    Von dem Lied, das deine Mutter singt.

Träume, träume, Knospe meiner Sorgen,
    Von dem Tage, da die Blume sproß,
    Von dem hellen Blütenmorgen,
    Da dein Seelchen sich der Welt erschloß,

Träume, träume, Blüte meiner Liebe,
    Von der stillen, von der heilgen Nacht,
    Da die Blumen seiner Liebe
    Diese Welt zum Himmel mir gemacht.

This will only last until the 27th because it is copyrighted material.

Wiegenlied

Raymond

What a blessed place is this Forum, where like minded people can exchange, show, help, constructively criticize, etc. Thanks for the Wiegenlied, downloaded it to my favorite music. Yes Max, if you recall, I likened your piece to Till Eulenspiegel, in style and orchestration skills of yours.
    I am on a mission to listen all Strauss wrote. Thanks to both of you, and have a nice Xmas and a happy NY.
    (It is 36 this morning here, the sun is shining, the sea is beautiful and I am still alive...)

Hush, don't say anymore. It's chill, dull, grey and wet here. Let R. Strauss be the (Zarathustra) rising sun!

All the best for a good health and lots of beautiful music. Your intentions are promising!

Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

This is so exquisite. The music just floats thru the air, seemingly having an intelligence and entity of it's own. truly beautiful and inspiring.

Wow! Ted, this is so awesome! I get this old classical feeling inside of me when listening to this. I really admire this kind of music. It reminds me of the past. I miss the past for reasons you already know of. Great work, I love this piece. Downloading and saving to my computer.

Regards,
    Richard

Glad to see I'm not the only one loving Strauss' Vier Letzte Lieder.
    Renée Fleming and Elisabeth Schwarzkopf singing are two recordings in my library.
    Ted, Metamorphosen is also an enjoyable piece of music.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Perhaps it was not intended for Christmas, but for me the later works of Strauss and Christmas blend well together. Thank you this moment of tranquility after the bub-bub and chaos of the season.

Tom

I am so glad I did post this and caused you guys the same pleasure I have with it. I am going to listen to your suggestion Fabio.

Ted

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast