• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Richard Strauss

Share/Bookmark

Re: Richard Strauss

As told before, I deleted the link to Richard Strauss. Copyrighted material, you know.

RR

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    This is not very Xmas music, but I am for the past four months floored by the Four Last Songs of Strauss, and I thought some of you did not hear them, or if you did it was a long ago and you may enjoy it again.
    If you are willing to listen (Renee Fleming, Eischenbach and Munchen) learn from this master how he handles a melody.
    It is over 9 minutes, so try it only if you have time. Nobody can listen and not squeeze out a tear on this beauty. This is the last of the four, "Abendrot" , Evening red.

https://app.box.com/s/uc6wq9bsx6j9vqomdnyblxmqscm2cnir

Hello Ted,

after a long while I am back to this forum. I did have lots on my plate these past months, moving and job change. Now I think I settled in a bit, and I hope I can devote again more time to music.

I wanted to listen to this Strauss "Abendrot", but it was gone from the BOX folder...
    so I searched a bit, and found it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppoqUVlKkBU

Copyright issues will be dealt with by YouTube, so no worries here

Cheers,
    Reinhold

Dear Ted, the "Abendrot" from R. Strauss for many years has been one of the most beautiful music I know. I wish Strauss had written more of this kind. Only in the Opera "Arabella" , I think, there a 2 arias/duett which come close to that...

I would love to listen to your rendition but unfortuneately it isn't available anymore... Could you check it? Thank you!!

Regards

Gerd

Hello Gerd, please use the address just ahead your answer and enjoy the video of Abendrot...
    Take a look of the comments. I thought I am the only crying man of this music, it is wonderful to see that I am not alone...

Ted

Re: Richard Strauss / Abendrot

The "Abendrot" has moved me and fascinated me so much in the richness of melody and instrumentation that I tried to render it with GPO just for exploring it further. Here is the the first half of it (simplifying it a little bit by leaving out the trombones) ...

http://www.gerdprengel.de/RStrauss_I..._beginning.mp3

Gerd

Gerd, I hope you'll continue and finish it, brilliantly done!

Thank you for this last link.. I am listening now.. I have only 'peeked into' the door of classical music.. (my bad - but I'm here now)... I have listened to R.Strauss before (again referenced from here).. I find it easier to 'connect' with this. It is beautiful and profound. His use of compositional devices and techniques, always seems for the 'cohesiveness' of the piece itself, not that 'hey look I can do this', which I sometimes feel in other classical compositions (sometimes).

Of course Stauss, can be the first door I peek into, which will open my mind to look beyond my musical emotional blinders, to the wealth of classical music that is out there.

Thank you for this.

Angelonyc:

I do not wish to convert you to "classical" music, just wish to give you musical pleasure.
    If you have time, listen to Mahler 3, final movement, abado is the conductor , and the orchestra is the Lucerne Festival orchestra. First of all, Abado died, his request was to have this adagio played for him after his death. Secondly, this orchestra is the finest. Many members are from the Berlin and Vienna orchestras.
    The piece is not depressing, but full of love. I put the address in here, so if you have 12 minutes free, take a chance on my suggestion. By the way the main theme of the Adagio is constantly bothering me, someone used it for some popular song, and I can't pinpoint what the song is. So, if you listen and will be surprised by that melody, please let me know what it is. By the way, I requested this piece to be played for my memory too...
    Have a nice evening...

Ted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v1dffCkd5I

Despite Abbado's wishes, Adagio from Beethoven's 3rd was actually played at funeral,
    Barenboim conducting La Scala Philarmonic Orchestra in front of an empty theatre.

Then, your words about Mahler 3rd should be carved.
    Listened to this work just yesterday (Jonathan Nott conducting Bamberger Symphoniker).
    Everytime a journey into human spirit.

All the best, Ted.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Angelonyc:

I do not wish to convert you to "classical" music, just wish to give you musical pleasure.
    If you have time, listen to Mahler 3, final movement,
    Ted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v1dffCkd5I
    Thank you.. Yes a truly beautiful piece.. I loved that there were no 'scurrying' 16th notes.. Perfect for my state of mind this morning.. (I need tranquility, and depth).. The Conductor's motion, is almost a work of art in itself.

i recognized a few three note snippets, but could not place it to a particular song..

At this point, I want to 'broaden my horizons'.. i wouldn't look at it as 'converting'.. I very much thank you.

I like to 'binge watch TV shows. I notice among the better produced series.. The story line, gains, complexity, and depth..
    The more sophisticated make use of several devices, (filling in back-history), to make one's understanding of the big picture, also a means of adding variety to the story..

I notice our lives do that. Gain complexity, we take side trips, and fill in gaps in our knowledge, or 're-weaving' our understanding, or getting 'the bigger picture' of the events of, and even life itself'.

It seems once we reach this stage, we can't get back to, or there is not much point, in going back to the simpler way, we perceived the world.

I have followed many 'pop musicians' who's music 'evolves'.. Some for me, take a turn OFF of the main highway, into a more specialized path.. Some of these changes, I embrace, for some other musicians, I sometimes lose some interest in their new direction.. Still other listeners, fans, I'm sure really enjoy the 'growth'.

I sometimes want to go back to the more 'hard-edged' music I did as a youth. But when i attempt to do so, it's not the same. The circumstances of my life, have changed me, making it rather hard, to get back to that place.

Like you can't 'unlearn' that first hard lesson as a child, that 'Santa Clause' is not real.. A few years back, I read a current interview with Bob Dylan, that he doesn't doesn't know how to write a song, like he did back in the 60's..

I imagine the classic great composers, must have gone thru a similar experience. Of course some artists find a formula, and their record labels, want them to stick with that, cause it will always have basically the same audience.

But as individuals, most of us get bored, re-writing the same composition. We want to learn new techniques, get inspired by new ideas, and incorporate that.. In my own way, i am taking miniscule bits, of what I am learning here, and incorporating it into what I knw.. Might not be apparent to others.. I guess in my weaker, self-doubting moments, I feel I would be more 'legitimate' if I had a classical background. At other times, I realize, I have created a sort of 'hybrid music'.. that could have only happened if someone lived the thru the same events of me..

Of course all of us here, are on a similar journey.. And what we hear from each other's postings, gives us some 'food for thought'.. That is what I seek and enjoy here immensely, new 'food for thought'.

I thank you, and everyone here for their music uploading, and comments to everyone's posts. because there is much to learn here.

Go Back to forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12