• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dance of the Goblins

Share/Bookmark

Dance of the Goblins

When the goblins dance they don't do it for saving energy. Their dance is just a continuous rock and roll. And they do it to this rondo which, as it should, contains a little surprise in the end.

https://soundcloud.com/user-892939153/rondo-in-g-minor

Re: Dance of the Goblins

Hi Kjell,

To hear a rondo these days is rather rare and you did well. Nice themes and structure. I really love the piece. The only thing that bothers me a bit is the title. You named it a dance, but the mainly sustained strings don't invite to dance and all the energy gets lost in the rather lingering string phrases. Which library did you use? With a little bit more punchiness it would be a total different piece with a merry character that would please the goblins.

But as said, a very lovely composition with lots of possibilities in rhythm, harmony and melody. The rest is merely technique and there is some room for improvement.

Thanks for sharing!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

I was expecting vicious goblins ( Dickens, Pickwick Papers) dancing up a storm. It sounds like the Swedish goblins are good and friendly creatures. Liked them regardless, while agreeing with Jos that it would help to punched up a bit.
    Thanks for posting it

Ted

Quite a nice piece. These goblins appear to be well educated.. and I somehow envisioned them dressed in fancy clothes.

A lot of melodic/harmonic movement, which made me feel compelled to jog to keep up with it..

Very rich..

Smile Re: Dance of the Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Kjell,

To hear a rondo these days is rather rare and you did well. Nice themes and structure. I really love the piece. The only thing that bothers me a bit is the title. You named it a dance, but the mainly sustained strings don't invite to dance and all the energy gets lost in the rather lingering string phrases. Which library did you use? With a little bit more punchiness it would be a total different piece with a merry character that would please the goblins.

But as said, a very lovely composition with lots of possibilities in rhythm, harmony and melody. The rest is merely technique and there is some room for improvement.

Thanks for sharing!
    Jos
    Thanks Jos for the feedback. I appreciate your advice and I am working on it following up your similar comment on Fantasia.
    The title appeared to me after the tune was finished, it sort of gave me that impression. You know, Jos, Goblins don't dance to the same music as you and I. Goblins are more smooth and uniform. Actually I remember I reduced attack and extended duration of the strings to get it more smooth. But one dream of mine is to compose a real classical dance tune for humans and I will then try to make the strings more lively.
    The library is as always GPO5.

Always nice to hear from you.
    Greetings
    Kjell

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I was expecting vicious goblins ( Dickens, Pickwick Papers) dancing up a storm. It sounds like the Swedish goblins are good and friendly creatures. Liked them regardless, while agreeing with Jos that it would help to punched up a bit.
    Thanks for posting it

Ted
    Yes, my Goblins are very friendly and welcoming. The creatures I had in mind are living peacefully in the forest and here they perform their ritual dance around a pond in perfect harmony with nature and with each other. It is a bit borrowed from Grieg's naturalistic musical paintings.

Kjell

Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    Quite a nice piece. These goblins appear to be well educated.. and I somehow envisioned them dressed in fancy clothes.

A lot of melodic/harmonic movement, which made me feel compelled to jog to keep up with it..

Very rich..
    Thank you, very inspiring to hear that it made you feel like moving, first step to dance.

Kjell

Go Back to forum