• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lsd-25

Share/Bookmark

Lsd-25

Here's another old tune of mine that I've dusted off. This is based on a song about a person named Lucy who apparently learned how to fly into the sky with diamonds.

https://app.box.com/s/cwkca9mn47v39l5qg4namg8sge8jqq5a

Phil

Re: Lsd-25

This is a very pretty arrangement of your piece. Sort of a theme and variation. Maybe a bit segmented. Some smoother transitions from section to section would help. At one point there was a good 16 second empty spot. I think it was for dramatic effect but I almost stopped playback as it seemed the piece had ended.

Overall, I really liked the piece and orchestration of it! Thanks for sharing it.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I hope you'll forgive me, but this is the best (for me) what I heard from you. You have many parts in there which could be expanded and enjoyed for longer times. I like your stops, and the overall effect, melodies etc.

Ted

Yes, I remember that Beatles tune, but you never play the main theme do you?
    Very nice and exciting music from you with plenty of ideas that you manage to mix into a continuity as well. I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks.

Kjell

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    This is a very pretty arrangement of your piece. Sort of a theme and variation. Maybe a bit segmented. Some smoother transitions from section to section would help. At one point there was a good 16 second empty spot. I think it was for dramatic effect but I almost stopped playback as it seemed the piece had ended.

Overall, I really liked the piece and orchestration of it! Thanks for sharing it.
    Thanks for commenting Rich! I’m glad you liked it.

Actually, that song was a bit segmented. Remember the added drum hits for the transition from the verse, which itself had two distinct sections, to the chorus. That was needed for the jarring difference between the verse and chorus. The “empty space was a musical joke. If you turn up the volume you can hear the piano’s last chords of the section continuing to ring out to the next section. That’s similar to how the Sgt Pepper’s album ended.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I hope you'll forgive me, but this is the best (for me) what I heard from you. You have many parts in there which could be expanded and enjoyed for longer times. I like your stops, and the overall effect, melodies etc.

Ted
    Thanks Ted!

I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the song Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds which was on the Beatle’s Sgt Peppers. Obviously it was about the substance L(ucy) S(my) D(diamonds) although Paul McCartney has denied this. Regardless I appreciate your idea to expand on the different parts which make it less a type of parody and more a seperate work.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by kjelleman View Post
    Yes, I remember that Beatles tune, but you never play the main theme do you?
    Very nice and exciting music from you with plenty of ideas that you manage to mix into a continuity as well. I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks.

Kjell
    Hello Kjell,

I’m happy you “got off” on my music.

Yes, the main theme or chorus is where the piano sort of goes over the top and then crashes. I think it’s the same l-lV-V chords, then to the ll chord which was an interesting change.

Phil

Hi Phil,

This forum is full of surprises, far beyond the purely classical world. That is wonderful! unlike in other forums people don't hold themselves too serious and provides us listeners with all kinds of styles, instrumentations, libraries... The politeness of the audience is striking. I've seen many other posts with denigrating or even aggressive and rude replies, but never here. Your talent is definitely in this musical segment and I'm glad you come up with it! Please go on.

Max
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

I LOVE THIS.. Yes, I recognized all the segments, and the Beatlesque 'tidbits' you used.. GREAT..

You used the original song.. studied it, soaked it in, found some of the 'hidden territory' often within many Beatle songs.
    .. digested, and processed it into something of your own..

The 4 lads, and George Martin, were one of the most incredible music teams of the 20th century. Beatle songs, can sound deceptfully simple at first.. But when you play, and improvise with them, you begin to discover how widely they can be interpreted, and the implications of harmonic variations which can be added..

You did all that amazing well..

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Phil,

This forum is full of surprises, far beyond the purely classical world. That is wonderful! unlike in other forums people don't hold themselves too serious and provides us listeners with all kinds of styles, instrumentations, libraries... The politeness of the audience is striking. I've seen many other posts with denigrating or even aggressive and rude replies, but never here. Your talent is definitely in this musical segment and I'm glad you come up with it! Please go on.ł

Max
    Hi Max,

Thanks for being polite. lol

I imagine it sounds a little off the wall and then some but I had no preconceived idea of raising a drug influenced psychedelic pop song from the sixties to respectability. I tried to be as experimental as the original artists were with their genre. It might have been a little(maybe very) tongue in cheek in places but it was also done with a love of the music and to create a smile.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast