• Register
  • Help

Topic: Opinions plse- which trumpet is best for a jazz solo sound?

Share/Bookmark

Opinions plse- which trumpet is best for a jazz solo sound?

I'm beginning work on a piece which I want to sound "a little" like a Herb Alpert piece, with a trumpet sound very close to what he showed us in "Rise" all those years ago. Like Alpert, the trumpet will be front and centre, so the built-in flaws with almost any horn done thru midi -note separation, attack, etc) will stand out. I'd like to avoid those traps if I can.

But short of hiring him to do it, does anyone have a suggestion(s) for which solo trumpet to use? I've used the various GPO solo trumpets in other pieces and they all sound "harsh" and shrill by comparison. I'm in search of something between that sound (Alpert famously used and may still use a Benge) and a Flugelhorn if I can get it. The solo trumpet in JABB isn't bad, but needs a lot of tweaking to get the "lip" to sound natural.

How about you? If you've done a trumpet piece, which Garritan horn has done the best for you? Which would be your "go to" sound? Or is there another one out there I can pick up for not a lot of money that would be better still?

Opinions (and any cheats) would be welcome!
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Re: Opinions plse- which trumpet is best for a jazz solo sound?

Hi Kevin,

I personally use JaBB Trumpet 1 KS for the lead trumpet in my standard 13-horn (4-trumpet) big band template. I think the overall fullness/roundness of its timbre is good through all parts of its range, as well as all four of the available mutes (which I use a lot). I don't like TP 2 KS for solo work, but find it useful as my 2nd trumpet in voicings (or unisons) with the other trumpets because it sounds so different. TP 4 KS seems the most mellow of the five available. Very subjective. Also, I use the trumpets more in concerted voicings than solo voices, and when I do, I will often have them in a mute for the solo.

I think you would get a credible Herb Alpert "Rise" sound by using TP 1 KS or TP 4 KS and a good amount of CC's to "Schmaltz" it up. There's plenty of vibrato and mod wheel detuning in his style of playing. I would also use a lot of grace notes to lip into the target pitches. Experiment w/ cc64 to get the right tongue/legato accents as well. The other HUGE component of Herb's sound on "Rise" is lots of reverb! That will also blend the previous things I just mentioned.

One last area for experimentation is exact doubling (a literal duplication of the trumpet track with exact duplication of any controllers) of an open trumpet with a trumpet in a bucket mute, or, an open trumpet with a flugelhorn. Depends on how mellow you want to go. Bucket mutes seem to just veil the pure trumpet sound without actually altering the trumpet timbre as the cup, harmon, and straight mutes do.

Good luck and let us know what worked best for you!

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Thanks Frank! Listened to both and think that if I can mellow out 1 just a tad it will be closer than 4, which seems to start just a little "below" my Alpert sampling in terms of brilliance.

Will spend the rest of tonight in testing mode and report back once I work it out. Speaking of experimenting, I can't locate cc64 in Aria and the downloaded manual seems to be silent on modifying sounds... or did I miss something?

It is purely a MIDI "thing"?

Cheers!
    Kevin
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Hi Again Kevin ...

Glad you're closing in on the trumpet sound you desire.

Yes, all the CC's are MIDI things.

CC64=0 ... uses the attack portion of each note.
    cc64=127 ... bypasses the note's attack.

So if the second note overlaps the first note and cc64=127 is inserted AFTER the first note begins (but before the second note begins), note two will sound like a legato, slurred note tied from the first. To get another tongued/attacked note, you need to insert another cc64=0 before the desired note.

I paint/insert all my CC's in Sonar's Piano Roll View. CC64 is tedious, time consuming work, but yields realistic results. (Bear in mind that at really brisk tempos, the tongued/slurred effect using cc64 is hardly noticeable on anything shorter than a quarter note).

I don't know how you do MIDI CC's in Finale. (I think we have opposite workflows; I use Finale strictly as my tail-end notation-only event. I use Sonar as my creative tool, doing all composition, arranging, and orchestrating and mixing in MIDI, then export to audio. If I need notation, I also export a simplified MIDI to Finale at this time as well).

Keep us posted!

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Go Back to forum