• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Reflections in a Moonlit Night

Share/Bookmark

Reflections in a Moonlit Night

Hi all,
    Here is an (old) composition - a septet for strings, flute and bassoon - fully reworked (solo strings and woodwinds). The acoustic environment is the Mozart Hall in Vienna.
    Reflections are here mirrored images of the night sky in water, but deep nightly thoughts as well. The style is somewhat eclectic.
    The earlier version was a composition challenge with the fellow composers Fabio Biolcati (Italy) and Raymond Robyns (The Netherlands). They both created a sequel to my music in 2012, for the three of us the pre-VSL-period.

Reflections in a Moonlit Night (septet)

And here is the video:
    Reflections in a Moonlit Night

Enjoy the listen!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Re: Reflections in a Moonlit Night

Delightful.. I love how you constantly keep moving forward, bring in new motifs, instruments with extreme fluidity..
    Your lack of relying on repetition is wonderful. You are constantly giving the ear and brain something new, at just the right pace so as to not overwhelm it, (and let it tune out) Your ability at maintaining a continuity, keeps the ear intrigued to keep listening with anticipation, and being delightfully surprised, at what come next..

You have a new fan..

Wonderful and unique music composed by an impressively creative mind. New ideas delivered constantly keeping the listener truly amazed. It feels like descriptive music but it is up to the listener to form the motives.
    The wind phrases seem to be longer than appropriate for real players but if so I have no problem with that.
    Congrats to you Jos and many thanks for giving me some great enjoyable moments.

Kjell

Thanks Kjell.

It's and impression piece (not so much impressionistic) and it asks for some imagination.

As to the wind players and their breath: there are enough little spots to breathe (I'm a flute player...), and the phrasing leaves room for more breathing if necessary. Of course in a mockup the pauses aren't quite used as they should in reality. So your concern is just. Nice that you think of the poor wind blowers.

Thanks for listening!

Jos
    Jos Wylin

I had the pleasure of pre-listening and told Jos that he did a very fine job. Great recording and micing. The piece needs a performance by real players. I just thought that fluteplayers don't smoke, so breath enough (haha).

Raymond

I enjoyed my journey to places of nature serenity and reflexion on ones life with your expesssive and imaginative music. Like your last post, I could imagine this music and pictures together for a multimedia work to tell a story. But it’s also nice to leave that to listener’s imagination and your ability to communicate such interesting and rich ideas with this fine music.

Phil

Thanks Raymond and Phil.

Raymond: don't worry, I quit smoking some 30 years ago and at that time I played the flute, sometimes gasping for some extra breath, but in most cases there is enough room to take a quick breath in between small phrases or partial phrases.
    Sometimes you have to 'eat' a non significant little note for some extra air, specially before a long phrase. I remember though a very long single breath solo by Jethro Tull (70ties), but I don't know the title anymore. That was (if not tricked) the longest solo phrase I've ever heard (which I could never have done!).

Jos
    Jos Wylin

Yes, eclectissimo! From about 6:30, it is Jos, before that is a stranger Jos, but for me the last part made it pure pleasure to listen. So far only once, but promising myself a more "cool" listening, as an attempt to educate myself on you skills.

Hi Ted,

Here is the stranger Jos (or more familiar 'Max'). Indeed, the piece has two different sound patterns. I wouldn't go that far to call it atonal, since it is written around the center G-minor (Eb major, G major, C minor), but the way the themes are built is a little 'strange' for my doings. I do understand what you mean, but it has a reason of course. It deals with reflections, thoughts in this case, which are uncontrollable and sometimes weird. They come to peace again near the end with a lovely duet between flute and violin, whereas the rest is more or less a dialogue between flute and bassoon (high - low thoughts / good-evil / joyful - sad... The different atmospheres do have a reason and a musical translation, without going as far as program music.

Thanks for your kind comment and listening,
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

Well written and evocative.

Joy and pain of our digital self-performance... we miss the human pulsation and feel of live, but at least we may listen to our musical intentions and share them in a way the past composers relying just on piano+imagination, can't even dream of.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast