• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cakewalk Announcement

Share/Bookmark

Cakewalk Announcement

http://www.cakewalk.com/Gibson-Announcement

Gibson Brands announced today that it is ceasing active development and production of Cakewalk branded products.

After 30 years of Cakewalk's long and illustrious history, I am saddened to announce that we ceased new product development and reduced overall operations this past Friday. You can read the formal announcement from Gibson here, which states that this decision was made in order to align with the company’s acquisition strategy, focused on growth in the global consumer electronics audio business.

Working at Cakewalk has been an incredibly positive experience for all of us who worked here. This can largely be attributed to the incredible people who worked here, past and present. I've been at Cakewalk 19 years and I've never come across a more dedicated and talented group of people. Our greatest motivation was the joy in producing software for an astonishingly passionate base of artists, musicians and producers who used our software to create music on a daily basis.

So what does this mean for you, our loyal customers who've been with us all these years? Cakewalk's servers will continue to operate, you will still have access to all of your online assets, and your software will continue to work normally. A dedicated team has been established during this transition period to continue to serve the Cakewalk community. Monthly updates to SONAR from Cakewalk will however cease during this time. We will continue to post notifications to keep you informed with any relevant developments. A sincere thank you to everyone in the Cakewalk community.

Sincerely,
    Noel Borthwick,
    CTO, Cakewalk

Re: Cakewalk Announcement

I moved from Sonar months ago after years with it. I became gradually dissatisfied with Sonar even though I took their lifetime offer.

To select another DAW to replace Sonar, I trialled just about every DAW available and spent a lot of time with them. My greatest surprise was the one I chose, Reaper. It was the last one I trialled and, I have to admit, initially I wasn't even going to "bother" with it, after all, it couldn't be that good at just £45 ($60). How wrong can anyone be? It matched Sonar and more! I've been using it for months now and used it for my Christmas song.

Interestingly, the worst DAW I trialled was Cubase and my experience matched the dissatisfation in their forums at the time. This is, of course, just my experience, others may find differently.

Although the news from Cakewalk is sad, it was not unexpected following the previous depature of Craig Anderton. I am saddened at their demise and hope that the good folk who had worked hard to develop Sonar are offered further opportunities with other developers.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I was extremely disappointing to hear about this. I've been using Sonar since I started composing, but I'm still with Sonar 8.5 due to the midi editing, I just find it better than the versions above. However, there will be a time where I will need to upgrade, but I have no idea which new DAW I'm gonna go with. I was considering Cubase, but I'm just not sure at this point.

Regards,
    Richard

I remember Cakewalk announced that they were working on a macOS version of Sonar awhile ago but it only went as far as a video. I thought it was kind of strange at the time because the audio user current seemed to running the other way because of Apple’s recent musician unfriendly Mac hardware direction. If you do use a Mac you probably use Logic and, or Protools.

Damn. DAMN!

I knew it when they announced the perpetual upgrades offer and said so on their forums. I thought that was an insane move. The cynic in me thinks it might have been a cash grab.

This is really bad news. I really like the current Sonar versions.

Selfish thoughts aside, I spare a thought for the staff who will have lost their jobs.

C'est la vie I guess.

Surely someone will pick this up though?

Was shocked when I checked the forums a few days ago to see this news. I've been a Cakewalk user since the very first version for Windows. I'll probably hold on a few years before changing to another program.

Jim

I really went round and round with a lot of different DAWs over the years until I finally took the plunge and decided on Sonar. It took me forever to finally get remotely comfortable with using it. Randy helped me out a lot! I even went so far as to pay for the "lifetime" upgrades! This is really disappointing. I really don't want to shell out more $$$ for another DAW and figure out how the hell to use it. My only real complaint about Sonar was there were never enough of the right kind of tutorials that would take me step by step through the process of using it. I'm talking about "visuals!" You would ask someone on the forum and half the time they'd say, "Just do this and you'll be fine." That doesn't work for me. I'm a visual person and I need to visually see what it is I'm supposed to do. That's what made using Garritan sounds so much easier as there were (at least at one time) plenty of visuals people posted here to show one how to use this or that. Guess I'm just turning into an old curmudgeon.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Losing Sonar is a major disappointment. I'm going to keep using it until Windows 2035 comes out and it no longer works. 'Nuf said!

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Gary,

As You know, I have never found a DAW that I could get to work. And that has been very detrimental to my work. I think I have 3 or 4 DAWS hanging around on my C drive. Although most of my music (the stuff that sells) goes directly to paper and to performance, but every once in a while I would like to make a CD. Lately I have run across some DAWS that advertise being very simple to use. The last one is very user friendly, but I can't find any way at all to load EWQL or Garritan libraries into the DAW. The good part was that it was less that $100 so I didn't get hurt too badly. Disappointed, but painless to the pocket book.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Gary,

As You know, I have never found a DAW that I could get to work. And that has been very detrimental to my work. I think I have 3 or 4 DAWS hanging around on my C drive. Although most of my music (the stuff that sells) goes directly to paper and to performance, but every once in a while I would like to make a CD. Lately I have run across some DAWS that advertise being very simple to use. The last one is very user friendly, but I can't find any way at all to load EWQL or Garritan libraries into the DAW. The good part was that it was less that $100 so I didn't get hurt too badly. Disappointed, but painless to the pocket book.

Tom
    I understand what you're talking about, Tom. Seems every DAW has their own way of getting VSTs to work. Took me forever to finally get comfortable with Sonar and now that's much easier for the most part. However, it's still a challenge for me to go from midi sounds to audio sounds and make them sound professional, but I'm getting there. I've tried lots of other DAWs: Reaper, Digital Performer, Mixcraft, Cubase, Protools. There aren't any of them that has tutorials that I can find to make it easy to use VSTs. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. I'd think about going with Protools. It seems to be one of the DAWs pros use a lot. But I'm just a novice when it comes to that end of music production. I'm much more comfortable working in Finale so I can visually see the music I'm writing. But as you know, as great as EastWest sounds are along with Garritan, it's hard to make a finished audio product in Finale. I create an audio version with dynamics all over the place, and then a printable version. Maybe I should try using Rewire sometime.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Major bummer for sure. I did the lifetime updates thing too, and it was great for about a year. And I like the new version, it does what I need. Oh well, I used Sonar Producer 3 for many years before moving to the current version, so hopefully the current version will continue to work well for a long time too. Really don't want to move on and learn a new DAW, don't have time for that...

I question the future of the Gibson company, making some stupid decisions lately.

Jim

Go Back to forum