• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Grandmothers walk

Share/Bookmark

Grandmothers walk

During our stay in the Yucatan, at carnival time, we watched the happy dancing, mostly Mayan young people in crazy costumes. Then at one point they announced the Grandmothers of the village. About 20 of them, dressed in the same dresses, walked in with such dignity, all the village giving honor to the smiling ladies. That inspired this short piece for harp.

https://app.box.com/s/m3pdexbisi0z68711g4xah5jeip3ygwq

Re: Grandmothers walk

Such elegance. Beautiful piece. Never knew that Grandmothers could walk that way (haha). Finally some beauty with the harp.

Greetings,

Raymond

Hi Ted,

The king, emperor of the instruments in a delicate, modest role, producing such a lovely melody. No matter what the real inspiration has been (grandmothers or young girls), it is a heart-warming performance and so well done!

Thanks for sharing it with us,
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Thanks Raymond, yes those grandmothers walked with so much dignity, self assurance, elegance that I was floored.
    Thanks again.

Jos, there was a number of nice looking girls, dressed in not much more than but-floss, but my interest was on the old ones, they were more impressive and remain in my heart.

How wonderfully peaceful and elegant - life could not be much better than hearing this on a warm summer night under a ceiling of stars.

Tom

Thanks Tom for your comments. Elegance was what these ladies were.

Ted

Gorgeous, Ted! I am reminded of a surprisingly candid remark made by Edward Everett to Abraham Lincoln shortly after hearing Lincoln’s great speech at Gettysburg in commemoration of the losses on that battlefield. Everett, who had delivered a speech just before Lincoln’s famous address, said “I should be glad, if I could flatter myself, that I came as near to the central idea of the occasion in two hours, as you did in two minutes.” GRANDMOTHERS WALK provides an excellent example in music of what Mr. Everett was saying. We should all remember that much can be said with very little if one chooses just the right notes. This truth is immediately apparent to anyone who makes even a cursory study of ancient Chinese or Japanese painting! Thank you for allowing my download!

Your comment is important to me because I admire your work. Thank you for understanding how a small occasion made so deep impression on me on Women's respect- demanding expression. and the simplicity of them. That is why I used only a harp, (not having any experience with guitars, which would have been more appropriate for the location).
    Thanks again,

Ted

Although I have never been there myself it feels you caught the soul of Yucatan in this lovely composition with a wonderful melody as is so usual for you, Ted. A true listening pleasure.

Kjell

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast