• Register
  • Help

Topic: Age of Wisdom

Share/Bookmark

Age of Wisdom

Here is my new piece.. I used two drum kits, Trying to emulate Ringo's drumming a bit, more fills, not so much steady drumming.. I also had the piece melt into chaos at the end. (more sound design rather than music). It's more of 'music exploration piece.

Age Of Wisdom - https://app.box.com/s/45piip7w3vrs3kr58ygfsqbay46tfbbq

Score - https://app.box.com/s/nt9il542s89ztqhaj33y7pzpe6r4fbht

Re: Age of Wisdom

Very interesting piece, like walking through a "city of music", all sorts of styles coming to meet you.
    Enjoyed it, thanks.

Ted

Yes, a very nice and exciting journey with beautiful and thoughtful music carrying a mystery message of wisdom. Lovely as usual from you.

Kjell

Hi Angelonyc,

Quite an impressive piece! It reminds me a bit of the early days of synth music, here combined with pop instruments. The procedure to render this is different enough from the classical way. Various depths even in different ambiences for the instruments with a deeper and longer reverb for the synths. That is in my ears rather peculiar because it's not the way we deal with acoustics. However, it's always interesting to learn from "the other side".
    As a composition I love the way you deal with sounds and solos, with soundscape and themes and how you glue everything together to a consistent whole.
    I had a quick look at the score, but I possibly can't find my way in it. Classical scores have strict regulated instrument order (based on classical relevance and tradition). That has the advantage that all over the world one knows where to find what. In your score that is not the case (unless there would be some sort of contention as well?). So I didn't bother longtime, I mainly focused on listening. And that was rewarding!

Thanks for sharing,
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

This was fun and interesting to listen to. One can’t try to figure out where it’s going but just enjoy the ride. The assortment of music might look like the Sgt. Peppers album cover. I think that jazz(nyc)is prodominant but shares with rock and experimental. I think I heard John Lennon’s hard edged guitar and even possibably echos from the Rolling Stone’s psychedelic period along with the Beatle’s studio high jinks.

Phil

Thanx guys.. Yes Max.. I gotta work on my instrument order in the score.. Got a similar comment on another piece. Because I use mostly un-traditional sounds, I don't know what order to put them in..

I guess for what I'm doing. Melodies should come first, supporting parts, comping instruments, bass, drums. I generally put every instrument in the score. It really helps me to see the data, it terms of cutting, modifying, doubling parts, etc.

Some of the more esoteric, non-pitched parts, I reduce to one staff. Although some are pitched, they vary so much, there is often not a clear cut pitch.. Also I want to get all the instruments on one page..

I took this very interesting free course at Coursera.org; it was called biology as music.. It's focus is on how the human body it is so incredibly well designed to create and appreciate music.

For instance when sound data enters our ears, it is sorted into categories, and then sent to (I think, not remembering exactly) five areas of the brain.. Each area process independently, and then all that processed data is sent to another section which 'confabulates' (I didn't make that term up) the separate data streams into the audio we hear.. There is a whole process, just to differentiate location, sound bounce back, reverb, echo ets.

The course goes into among other things, resonance and harmonics of different instruments, and sounds.. Certain harmonic relationships, and resonances have an emotional quality to them, and that impacts what we feel about the music or sound we are hearing. Who doesn't learn to love/appreciate the unique quality of their mates voice..

The course is pretty dry, but a wealth of information which would be good for anyone composing music.

So I am trying to use emotional psychology in the pieces I create, by the sounds I create and use.
    I purposely use different effects, reverb, no reverb on almost every instrument.. Because it has an impact on the listener. It's not unified. Things are coming from different places, locations. I pick sounds to use for the emotional response I hope to get from the listener. (I'm hoping to find a way to get instruments to sound like they are coming from a different time - that's gonna take some work)

Yes, I love psychedic music. Loved the Beatles, Brian Wilson, Stones, Black music, funk.. I've been exposed and like almost all music I hear.. I am purposely on a mission to incorporate some psychedia into current music I'm doing..
    Someone likened the piece to the cover of 'Sgt. Peppers'.. That's astute. It's exactly right..I have been going for that effect, but it was not firmly figured out in my brain yet..

I like to throw in some contemporary sounds, traditional, synths, and lately 'sound design' components. I love to 'explore when writing. I jumped on the synthesizer band wagon, when they first came out.. Quit playing in bands, to work in studios, and collect a lot of synthesizers to use.. Created a lot of music, all synthesizer.. Then eventually realized people would be more attracted to music, which had more 'known' elements.. Guitar, real sounding drums, human voice etc.

Gratefully over the years, the samplers, then really exquisite sound libraries, and extremely well sampled instruments came into being.

I supported myself, almost all my life wiring and playing music. So I certainly had to accommodate, clients, producer, bands, singers, film maker etc. Then about 25 years ago. I started working in night clubs, as a bar tender, than doorman. The great thing was it was a regular salary.. I stopped doing music jobs for hire. I decided I was only going to create music I liked.. I don't have the need or financial obligation to 'satisfy' anyone but myself. Of course I want people to like it, be intrigued, challenged, etc. So it's really been fun.. I certainly worked on music, that wan't 'my cup of tea', or with people I didn't like.. but there was that paycheck to consider.

I didn't mean to 'expound' so much..But maybe sharing my point of view gives others something to think of. Being now retired, I hope to get another 20 years and get down to some really 'serious music' now.. since I am not detracted by a lot of other things.

I do want to learn new things, and make the music grow. I'm delighted and amazed to realize how many friends, people I know who started playing in the 60's are still doing it. Most of the band members of the 12 bands I had been in, are still making music.. I notice how a lot of them are stuck in a timezone.. That is they keep writing the same song, just different. I hear music from long established artists, and can't tell if it is brand new, or 40 years old..

Of course continuity, and sticking to what works, keeps many musicians still in business. I appreciate an artist who grows, takes risks, changes music. regardless if they lose some fans, and gain some new ones.

Go Back to forum