• Register
  • Help

Topic: Something for Which I Am Thankful

Share/Bookmark

Something for Which I Am Thankful

We are all aware of Garritan Libraries numerous flaws and deficits. They leave a bit to be desired. However, I’m sure most of you agree with me when I say that those same libraries have much to be desired!

Today I want to celebrate some of my favorite samples from GPO5—the Concert Pianos, specifically the Concert D Grand Piano. What an amazing improvement on the wimpy instrument we had in GPO1! Linked below, is a render of one of my compositions using this lovely piano. Note that the raw sample is almost totally lacking in bass frequencies. I suggest that anyone using this instrument set the EQ thus: low to +6 dB, high to +3 dB, mid unchanged. Also, I suggest setting the Rel. Volume to 75%.

https://soundcloud.com/sean-damon/death-and-remembrance

Re: Something for Which I Am Thankful

I did like it.very much. Interesting to listen to the various stiles you present, from Bach to Debussy and Mahler comes to mind. Especially liked the center portion, pure modern JSB and I mean this knowing that there is no other similarities but the ready to create a fugue in a delightful way handled by you wonderfully.
    Nice to see you here again, thanks for this delightful posting.

Ted

Thank you very much, Ted, for your kind and thoughtful remarks. Being mentioned in the same paragraph as those titans of music is humbling, gratifying, and most reassuring! I often incorporate polyphonic material into my pieces since I adore that much neglected texture! However, I sometimes find myself wondering if the final product is any better for it.

It is a pleasure to once again visit a community I believed to have been shut down. How nice it is to know that the Garritan Fora at NorthernSounds are still alive!

Great Music Sean. It was a true pleasure to listen to it and a very respectful tribute.

Kjell

That was a very nice journey with the Garritan Concert D. Quite tasteful and balanced. I think I liked the last part the best. Fewer notes but in the right places.

Phil

Hi Sean,

We should praise ourselves happy that you had such a nice, beloved dog. The extended posthumous ode you have written is truly a masterpiece, played on a unbelievably clean piano. I assume you played it in live? Otherwise, the programming of the arpeggios, accents, dynamics, rubatos... must have been a hell of a job. The performance is so human and real, touching and at times breathtaking that it constantly invites to go on listening. That's the definition of great music.
    Within 15 minutes, you went through almost every period in western music history, including all the benchmarks of every period. From early baroque textures, rococo ornaments, classical chord progressions, romantic emotive clusters and frolicking runs, playful octaves, up to 20th century stacked chords. Really wonderful and amazing.

Many congratulations and thanks for sharing,
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

The opening chords immediate gets your attention. Then the development into some sort of relief, at about 2.50, wonderful thinking. A very interesting piece. You managed getting the whole romantic era into your composition, from Mozart, to Bach and Haydn. Beethoven is also there. Thank you for uploading.

Good stuff,

Raymond

After reading these very moving comments, I am reminded of just how important communities like this can be, especially for aloof, unaffiliated people such as I. When one lives and works in solitude, one can have a difficult time assessing one’s own creations. The creator is too close to his work to accurately judge its value. So, in lieu of any kind of support base, I am exceedingly thankful for such kind remarks!

Thank you so much, Kjell, for saying so!

Thank you, Phil! I recently listened again to your lovely composition, SNOWDROPS. May I know what piano you used in that track? Is it a Garritan sample?

Jos, I am absolutely thrilled by your sentiments! Your words leave me feeling confident and energized for work! For that, I thank you! Unfortunately, I did not play the piano. What you hear is instead my carefully sequenced rendition of the piece from my previously written score. You say that it “must have been a hell of a job.” You're not kidding! It is always a mighty struggle for me to get these things worked into a presentable state. However, I do enjoy the challenge of thinking in idiomatic terms, as if I am a performer on the instrument.

Raymond, I am so pleased to know that the opening material is interesting enough to grab your attention. I have always wondered about the effectiveness of that opening passage. My intention was to suggest church bells.

Sean,

Yes, it was the Garritan Steinway Library that I used on Snowdrops. It was the 2nd tier product that was available for a short period of time. In between the professional and the download versions.

Phil

Go Back to forum