• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Swedish Legacy

Share/Bookmark

Swedish Legacy

Hi everybody,
    the title refers to a previous discussion we had concerning Swedish musical tradition. Most of our famous composers in the tonal genre made music in a simple folkish tradition with an easy and non-complex cantabile theme supported with a clear marked rhythm usually formed by the string bass in pizzicato.
    In this tune I follow up this tradition heavily influenced by folk and pop music. But as I have claimed earlier in Max' thread I do like and appreciate folk music.

https://soundcloud.com/user-89293915...sia-ciss-minor

Kjell

Re: Swedish Legacy

Kjell,

After listening to this selection 5 times I find it consistently beautiful. The smooth transitions, the solid instrumentation and the professional orchestration. Quite wonderful.

Tom

Hi Kjell,

Another fantastic piece with a lovely main theme. You've got me with the folk music. It still offers so much beauty and simplicity to this world (which needs more simple happiness). Wonderful orchestration too but allow me some minor remarks.
    Your work would benefit from more balance and carefully chosen articulations. The string section remains so modestly in the background, playing continuously sustain patches. Please bring it now and then to the foreground and let it take over a variation on the theme with more attack and punch. The same for the dynamic evolution. Everything seems so smooth and calm.
    I hope you don't take this personally. Your work is fine as it is, but it might sound more interesting and surprising with some minor changes.

Thanks for sharing!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Kjell,

After listening to this selection 5 times I find it consistently beautiful. The smooth transitions, the solid instrumentation and the professional orchestration. Quite wonderful.

Tom
    Thank you Tom for thorough listening and nice comments. You made me a happy man.

Kjell

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Kjell,

Another fantastic piece with a lovely main theme. You've got me with the folk music. It still offers so much beauty and simplicity to this world (which needs more simple happiness). Wonderful orchestration too but allow me some minor remarks.
    Your work would benefit from more balance and carefully chosen articulations. The string section remains so modestly in the background, playing continuously sustain patches. Please bring it now and then to the foreground and let it take over a variation on the theme with more attack and punch. The same for the dynamic evolution. Everything seems so smooth and calm.
    I hope you don't take this personally. Your work is fine as it is, but it might sound more interesting and surprising with some minor changes.

Thanks for sharing!
    Jos
    Hi Jos,
    thanks for comments and sure I get your point. I will try that and see what I can do, at least in future works. I need to learn more about strings and their possibilities. Learning is life!

Kjell

Quote Originally Posted by kjelleman View Post
    Hi Jos,
    thanks for comments and sure I get your point. I will try that and see what I can do, at least in future works. I need to learn more about strings and their possibilities. Learning is life!

Kjell
    That's the spirit!
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

I enjoyed your Swedish Legacy. I’vs never been to Sweden but I pictured the Swedish countryside and the coming long Scandinavian winter. It was quite beautiful music.

My Swedish cousin once remarked that Sweden’s composers are not well known in other countries. I asked about Carl Nielsen. He frowned and scolded me, saying dryly, “Nielsen is Danish!” For earlier he had mentioned that the Danes think they are superior to the other Scandinavians. Oops.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I enjoyed your Swedish Legacy. I’vs never been to Sweden but I pictured the Swedish countryside and the coming long Scandinavian winter. It was quite beautiful music.

My Swedish cousin once remarked that Sweden’s composers are not well known in other countries. I asked about Carl Nielsen. He frowned and scolded me, saying dryly, “Nielsen is Danish!” For earlier he had mentioned that the Danes think they are superior to the other Scandinavians. Oops.

Phil
    Yes, Nielsen was Danish, still he wrote great music!

I suggest you to dig into the works of Peterson-Berger, Stenhammar, Alfvén (check Elegy from 'King Gustav II Adolf', Op. 49 —I'm fond of it), Wirén, Lars-Eric Larsson up to steepy more contemporary Allan Petterson

If you are more into the Eighteenth Century, there are the lovely Symphonies by Joseph Martin Kraus.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Don't know how you managed getting this rather beautiful sounds of the strings, together with wind instruments. It is just so well balanced that I must tell the world the beauty of this composition. As Jos Wylin already told you some more dynamic changes would enhance the feeling, but it just stands as it is.

So nice!

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post

Phil
    Thank you Phil for your feedback. Yes, unfortunately he was Danish and Grieg Norwegian and Sibelius Finnish. However, Sibelius mother tongue was Swedish and I am myself half-norwegian. So it is not total darkness

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast