• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Buggy Giga since MOL install

Share/Bookmark

Buggy Giga since MOL install

I love the conveniences of midiovrlan, but ever since I installed this, it seems giga is just so unstable (get the windows error page that says an error has occured.) Has anyone else had a a touchy giga (seperate machine) since they installed MOL? Any advice / help would be appreciated.

Rob

Re: Buggy Giga since MOL install

From what I\'ve read from other posts, some of the LAN/Network card drivers conflict with the Giga program. Some of the functions of Giga are low-level to achieve super fast latency, so the low-level drivers of a NIC card may interfere with it. ... just a guess. Try a different NIC card.

Originally posted by Rob Elliott:
    I love the conveniences of midiovrlan, but ever since I installed this, it seems giga is just so unstable (get the windows error page that says an error has occured.) Has anyone else had a a touchy giga (seperate machine) since they installed MOL? Any advice / help would be appreciated.

Rob
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Rob,
    Does the windows error give any more details? What kind of system are you running? What kind of network card? Are you using a switch or a hub or just a Xover cable? Have you got the latest MOL?

I have MOL running with Giga on win98SE and with my sequencer on win2k(SP4), the full 4 ports for Giga160 without problems.
    Check your IRQ assignments and maybe try moving the network card to a different slot.

Brian

Originally posted by B:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Rob Elliott:

Rob
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Rob,
    Does the windows error give any more details? What kind of system are you running? What kind of network card? Are you using a switch or a hub or just a Xover cable? Have you got the latest MOL?

I have MOL running with Giga on win98SE and with my sequencer on win2k(SP4), the full 4 ports for Giga160 without problems.
    Check your IRQ assignments and maybe try moving the network card to a different slot.

Brian
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi B,

Let me try responding to each of your questions:

The error message references a gconv.dll (I believe). It always gives that same message. The interesting thing is that when this \"MS\" message comes up saying that the program must close I CAN STILL PLAY THE SOUNDS ON THAT GIGA!!!

The computer is running a P4 800 ASUS MOBO with thernet built into the board. Intel 2.66 P4

I have a DLink DL-614 for my hub (network)

I check and have the latest X.112 latest version of MOL. Again the older giga machine seems to work just fine with MOL.

Any ideas what you see. How can I check the IRQ?

Many thanks.

Hey Owel and B,

2 hours later and I get another crash (but I am STILL able to hear my sounds on that giga machine!!!! I just can\'t get into to to add/delete programs without restarting. Seems strage that if it would crash it would continue to at least \'sound out\' for me.)

Anyway, as you know by know, the ethernet card is built into the ASUS P4800 board.

Here\'s what the error says:

\"App name: gstudio.exe Appversion: 2:54.00 Mod Name: gconv.dll Mod version: 2.54.00 offset 00004303\"

there is a huge technical report you can get to (hyperlinked), but I couldn\'t seem to copy it to a notepad to post here.

Hope this additional information would lead to some ideas.

Another well respected board member suggested to me this morning to take this giga puter off of MOL and use my old MOTU express midi interface (to possibly eliminate that possibility.) I think this is a good idea but am still confused how the 18 mo old giga works great in the same LAN and using MOL.

Rob

Rob,
    more questions [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I saw the thread about the KVM, is that the same problem? In that thread, you say it only happens when you really load up the memory?
    Finally are you running XP or win98?

Brian
    PS from what I understand, Giga is essentially 3 programs, the sample engine, the GUI and the editor. So your problem crashes the GUI, but the sample engine is still running allowing you to play the samples.
    Hang on, after the crash, are you playing the samples via MOL?

Originally posted by B:
    Rob,
    more questions [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I saw the thread about the KVM, is that the same problem? In that thread, you say it only happens when you really load up the memory?
    Finally are you running XP or win98?

Brian
    PS from what I understand, Giga is essentially 3 programs, the sample engine, the GUI and the editor. So your problem crashes the GUI, but the sample engine is still running allowing you to play the samples.
    Hang on, after the crash, are you playing the samples via MOL?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi B,

I thought that the KVM could be affecting it but I discconected it and still go the \"GUI crashes\". Yes, I didn\'t think of that - I can still play the samples (remotely) but can\'t interface and change things around once a crash happens (GUI). And yes, once it crashes, I am still playing it via MOL (controller through SX through to this Giga.)

Does that offer up any more hints.

Hi. No help from me I am afraid, but just to let you know you are not alone.

Without MOL system works perfectly (well close) but with limited Giga ports available because of MIDI in restrictions on my sound cards.

Install MOL and system works perfectly with additional ports a real treat.
    After a while, anything from an hour, one by one the Giga page freezes, (Hangs).

If all sounds are loaded into Giga and I don\'t need to make changes, its not so much of a problem. Also the PC running Logic and the MOL MIDI controller is fine, no Hanging

OS on all six of my GIGA machines: Win 98SE
    Sound Cards on all Frontier Design Dakota
    Monitor switching through D-Link
    MIDI Unitor

Yes, Bruce Boy - if I don\'t have to change anything on that Giga I can still use it, but the \'hanging\' problem is a real nuisance. I am thinking that it is not MOL in that MOL is still working on THAT machine once it hangs up.

Rob

Rob. We have spent hours installing and un-installing MOL and have concluded that without MOL we have no problem, but with, oooooh yes indeed.

Go Back to forum