• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Paspie (passepied)

Share/Bookmark

Paspie (passepied)

Dear friends,

Here is a little trifle, a passepied from 1743. It was originally found in a booklet in a bass pipe of the church organ (during a restoration) at Viane, a small village in Flanders, Belgium. The document contained some 100 dances, marches and airs, 4 pieces for harpsichord and some religious songs. It was written mainly in pencil.

Here's the original piece in handwriting (darkened a bit): https://app.box.com/s/e3uvx6we3y5wtd5rbx8pede6jonxcqtb

As you can see, the original only provides a melody line, which is mostly the case with these older documents. Musicians at that time were supposed to know the practice of improvising the other voices in the usual harmonies. Since it's a dance, the bass line is important and functions as fundament and rhythm basis.

For this passepied I've used 3 period instruments: the oboe da caccia, the traverso and the baroque soprano recorder.

Enjoy!

Paspie (Petrus Josephus Van Belle)
    Jos Wylin

http://www.joswyl.be compositions and sampling practices

Re: Paspie (passepied)

Jos,

This is very enjoyable indeed!

Taking such a minimal score and bringing it to life is very rewarding.
    I would like to do the same one day.

Instrumentation is spot on too!

Thanks for posting.

~ Yudit ~

Quite an excellent job.. What an exciting project to have found. A very old sketch of music, and to flush it out to your finished piece.

Jos, your sources of inspiration are amazing. Now when I need some inspiration myself maybe I should go to the town church and check the organ pipes and maybe I will write such a neat and delightful piece of music as you so generously give us here.
    Thank you Jos

Kjell

Thanks Kjell, Angelonic and Sunbird for having taken a little while to listen to this Passepied. It's a ¾ dance, but it has nothing of the later waltz. The rhythm is quite bizar and some said about it that it was a "casse pied" (break your foot)...
    Very popular in the first half of the 18th century in France.

Jos (Max)
    Jos Wylin

How did I miss this? (The only excuse I have that for a while I had trouble to signing in )
    Jos, maybe this work shows off your talent the most. It is simply a delight! We will never know why he put this in the pipe? Maybe he was not supposed to write music for dancing, and he was almost surprised by somebody and had to hide it quickly and could not retrieve it any more?
    Anyhow, I think he can hear your work on the other side and is very happy about your work, as I am.
    Thanks a lot, made my day,

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    How did I miss this? (The only excuse I have that for a while I had trouble to signing in )
    Jos, maybe this work shows off your talent the most. It is simply a delight! We will never know why he put this in the pipe? Maybe he was not supposed to write music for dancing, and he was almost surprised by somebody and had to hide it quickly and could not retrieve it any more?
    Anyhow, I think he can hear your work on the other side and is very happy about your work, as I am.
    Thanks a lot, made my day,

Ted
    Well Ted, it's quite astonishing that you came up with that theory about hiding the 'forbidden' fruit... We performed that Paspie many times with my orchestra and I always told the exact same story about the strange finding place. But if it is true??? I don't know. It was meant as a joke. (The finding place is true. Ghislain Potvlieghe found it during a restoration of the organ in the nineties. He was an organ builder.)

Thanks for your kind words!
    Jos
    Jos Wylin

I enjoyed your arrangement of this long hidden melody Jos. Hearing your wonderfully pleasant music takes one back to a less anxiuos period in human history.

I checked out the oboe da caccia. It’s different looking and sounding.

Phil

Thanks phil for listening.

Indeed, the oboe da caccia is different from a (baroque) oboe. It's larger and more like a alto/tenor instrument. Its sound is a little darker, but warm.

Jos
    Jos Wylin

So, you ended up showing your identity elsewhere !
    And adding Viennese historicals to your arsenal.
    Well done in both three cases, being the third this enjoyable realization.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast