• Register
  • Help

Topic: Opposing Points Of View

Share/Bookmark

Opposing Points Of View

Here's my latest all electronic sounds effort.

Opposing Points Of View

Re: Opposing Points Of View

Heavy music this, nice to listen to and dressed with many events making it all the way entertaining and interesting. I am curious about the title, what it refers to. Would you consider a singing voice and a text to it?

Greetings,
    Kjell

Fun to hear an all synthesized piece.. Reminds me of the 'good old days'.. I like the chord progression. I spend a lot of time in the late 60's and 70's with ARPs, MOOGs, EMS, ARIES synths. The fun to creating and modifying a sound patch, and then finding the notes for it to play, was very rewarding..

Little snippets in your remind me of something (although, I'm not clear what) A nice device to give it instant nostaligia or likability.. very nice.

I can remember my very first record (vinyl !!) for/with electronic music. Intruiged by the sounds Vangelis managed to get on tape I shared my enthousiasme with other members of the family. Then I saw the gear he needed to accomplish that. Huge, complicated, lots of knobs, etc.

Thsi piece of you just triggered that "hidden" part of my brain and awakened the joy of those days. Thank you and please go on......

Raymond

Hi Phil,

Again, a very interesting project with the good old synth. I guess many amongst us have experimented some or more time with these electronic devices or at least with the sampled versions of them. I did too. In the music for the stage play "De Wijze Kater" I used it frequently, mainly for effects, in combination with more traditional instruments.
    Your tune here is a lively reminiscence and a very pleasing one. I really enjoyed it!

Thanks for sharing,
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by kjelleman View Post
    Heavy music this, nice to listen to and dressed with many events making it all the way entertaining and interesting. I am curious about the title, what it refers to. Would you consider a singing voice and a text to it?

Greetings,
    Kjell
    Hi Kjelle,

Thanks for the positive comments.

As with this one I usually just mess around a bit and hope my musical ideas become less murky and gel. I'll just say I think it has a political/social bent. The SoundCloud avatar for this song was a cartoon of two children yelling at each other.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by angelonyc View Post
    Fun to hear an all synthesized piece.. Reminds me of the 'good old days'.. I like the chord progression. I spend a lot of time in the late 60's and 70's with ARPs, MOOGs, EMS, ARIES synths. The fun to creating and modifying a sound patch, and then finding the notes for it to play, was very rewarding..

Little snippets in your remind me of something (although, I'm not clear what) A nice device to give it instant nostaligia or likability.. very nice.
    Thanks for the comments angelonyc.

The beginning is probably a little borrowed form ABBA's The Visitors(Crakin Up) and the sections that repeat are similar to Kraftwerk's music. So it does definitely have a classic synth era feel to it. The hymn like section is probably a little further back.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I can remember my very first record (vinyl !!) for/with electronic music. Intruiged by the sounds Vangelis managed to get on tape I shared my enthousiasme with other members of the family. Then I saw the gear he needed to accomplish that. Huge, complicated, lots of knobs, etc.

Thsi piece of you just triggered that "hidden" part of my brain and awakened the joy of those days. Thank you and please go on......

Raymond
    Raymond,

Yes, those synths were not inexpensive. I bought a Roland Juno 60 in the mid 80's for $2000 and it was one of the cheaper models. Now there are euro-racks(modules) that are more affordable but many of the synths are still pricey. The soft synths work fine for recorded music creation for a fraction of the price.

I created a little synth music with my Juno 60 but it was mainly for playing in a band. I sort of stumbled into electronic music creation.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Phil,

Again, a very interesting project with the good old synth. I guess many amongst us have experimented some or more time with these electronic devices or at least with the sampled versions of them. I did too. In the music for the stage play "De Wijze Kater" I used it frequently, mainly for effects, in combination with more traditional instruments.
    Your tune here is a lively reminiscence and a very pleasing one. I really enjoyed it!

Thanks for sharing,
    Max
    Hello Max,

That's great that you were able to use the synth for different sounds it's capable of. I used mine pretty much for emulating everyday keyboard sounds with the usual guitar and drum band. In this rural community one had no other option.

I'm glad you like it!

Phil

I sometimes long for the days of an armload of patch chords, and the experimentation to create an interesting sound.
    I was intrigued by the Eurorack stuff. But I would have wanted a quite large set-up with 3 or 4 independent analog synths, with ample voices. Way too much money now.. Two friends of mine from the old days broke down, and bough a bunch of Eurorack stuff.. After a year or two, it mostly collects dust. Being on a fixed income I can not afford to do that.

I went to an analog eurorack store in Brooklyn, NYC.. Very low key - It was a medium sized room with 5 set-ups, and some counters full of modules. The ages of the guys there were 20 - 75. Very interesting, oh yes, and one punk looking girl. It was really nice to see their enthusiasm for the analog synths.

Go Back to forum