• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bude Večer (again)

Share/Bookmark

Bude Večer (again)

Hi all,

This is an older post that I repost because there's a little video attached now. It helps create the right atmosphere to listen to this wonderful Czech folk song. Bude Večer is based on it, but freely arranged to fit in a concert program. It has already been performed live by a Czech choir and orchestra.

Enjoy the listen!
    Max

Bude Večer (Evening comes)

Re: Bude Večer (again)

It was so nice to re-visit this wonderful Max composition. At the time I first heard it, I did not realize the instruments you used. Your skill of orchestration shows through the piece, and, you are right, the video helps to enjoy it even more.
    I knew that a Czech orchestra was going to play it, but I missed (if you published it here) the story if you were there to enjoy it, how did it go, did you conduct, etc. Would love to hear it.
    Thanks for the lovely morning listening.
    Ted

Yes, the video really enhanced the experience. It's nice that there is such a long and varied tradition of folk music in Europe to draw inspiration from.

I was wondering if there were words for the live choir to sing? If so maybe you could post them.

Phil

Thanks Ted and Phil for having listened again.
    I could send the text and choir parts, but it's all in plain Czech. I guess no one would understand a word of it... But if you insist...

And it has been performed, together with "Running Waters" in a church in Geluwe Flanders) by a Czech choir and (small) orchestra. The orchestra was not really large enough to keep everything in balance, but they were fine musicians and performed well. Not quite what I had in mind, but that is probably always the case when another conductor interprets ones work. Let's say that I was lucky tho have a couple of my works live on stage.
    Max

There is a Google Czech to English translator for copy and paste Max. Things can gets lost in the translation but it will still give one an idea what is being said.

Phil

One of nicest things of "the again's" is that it refreshes the memory in a very pleasant way. Something like "renewal" of old friendship. The images are nice, but I always listen with my eyes shut. It is just a great piece. Even asked Max if he had altered the rendering. Answer was no, apart from some minor things. I enjoyed it very much.

Raymond

Thanks Phil and Raymond for your interest.

Phil, to meet your request, here is the choir part with the text.

https://app.box.com/s/unvoicq0g2m1g85flx5s273ax9kb5zg7

And here's the plain text (could be Slovak instead of Czech language - I don't know the difference):

Bude večer, u zapad slunčko, bude večer, u zapad slunčko,
    za hory za lesy, potěen kde e si, pre Tebja mňa zabolelo srdčko,
    za hory za lesy, potěen kde e si, pre Tebja mňa zabolelo srdčko.

U je večer, a u vyla hvezdička, u je večer a u vyla hvezdička,
    na lce u hja, zabili tam ohaja, zabili tam pant drbi Jančka,
    na lce u hja, zabili tam ohaja, zabili tam pant drbi Jančka.

Keď zabili, pochovali pod javor, keď zabili, pochovali pod javor,
    čern kr stavjali, a na něj napsali, tady le pochovan zbojnk z hor,
    čern kr stavjali, a na něj napsali, tady le pochovan zbojnk z hor.

I hope you can get it translated. It was a hell of a job to have it typed into the score with the keyboard (Belgian azerty). The Czech people didn't mention any errors, so I hope that it was all correct...

Kindly,
    Max

Oh that is easy. There are only six different sentences, thus with Google translator...... (Haha).

Google translation: Czech to English

It will be the evening, the sunset will fit, it will be evening, the lady fits,
    for the mountains in the woods, the pleasure where, for Tebja, my heart beat,
    beyond the mountains in the woods, the pleasure where you were, for Tebja my heart beat.

It is evening, and the star has come out, it is evening and the star has come out,
    on the meadow near the grove, they killed the Sohaja, killed the Pan race of Janicek,
    on the meadow near the grove, sohaja killed there, the Janček pan race was killed there.

When they were killed, they buried under the map, when they were killed, buried beneath the maple,
    the black cross builded and wrote it, there lies a buried mountain bounty hunter,
    the Black Cross built and wrote it, there lies a buried mountain bastard.

I see some errors in the translation, because the last two sentences of every verse should be the same and it is not.

Raymond

Thanks Max and Raymond!

I assume you just could just repeat the second sentence and ignore those third sentences.

At least one gets a sense of love and violent death. Maybe these words from the folk song were derived from lore or a poem.

Phil

So beautiful, Max, adorable. No orchestra/choir could do it better, it is a treasure. I really love that kind of music based on folk songs, it goes directly to the heart.
    Congrats to you.

Kjell

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast