• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mystery - Version 2

Share/Bookmark

Mystery - Version 2

Version two - The Last Leviathan
    Sometimes an idea comes with no real ending in mind. I woke up from a nap about an hour ago and thought I should put this down on "paper" before I forgot it. It was complete to the point that all I had to do was write it down. Perhaps it will fit into an operetta I've been working on, perhaps a Halloween piece - I really don't know. Any opinions or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

https://app.box.com/s/zodu2z7e7rlhojhzv3jef45n5sgt8sgi
    It is for extended string ensemble (2 violins, 2 violas, one cello and 2 horns.

See new version below.

Here is the second version. I used several suggestions you have all made.

The Last Leviathan
    https://app.box.com/s/dkhck0xtbtp4jkbowan2m4spgh8zlpp5

This version is for string orchestra, flute, oboe, Base Clarinet, Contra Base Clarinet, English Horn, and French Horn. Also changed the tempo from 150 to 120.

Program note: The last leviathan surfaces, takes a last look at the world he only barely remembers and, with a single moan, sinks forever back into the depths.

Re: Mystery - Version 2

Tom, keep mystery1, it is masterly music. Now when I listen to it again I find it impressive: emotional, beautiful, dramatic. And a good reason for that are the solo strings which when contrasted with the horns build up the remarkable atmosphere.

Mystery2 means something else to me. The use of string section makes it less dramatic and you also have lost some continuity. It acts as sort of a contrast to mystery1 and maybe could work like that in a longer tune where you make use of both of them. Look forward to hear that btw

Kjell

Kjell,

Thank you for that valuable input. This is an experimental project and will explore many possible conclusions. Your thoughts are highly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by kjelleman View Post
    Tom, keep mystery1, it is masterly music. Now when I listen to it again I find it impressive: emotional, beautiful, dramatic. And a good reason for that are the solo strings which when contrasted with the horns build up the remarkable atmosphere.

Mystery2 means something else to me. The use of string section makes it less dramatic and you also have lost some continuity. It acts as sort of a contrast to mystery1 and maybe could work like that in a longer tune where you make use of both of them. Look forward to hear that btw

Kjell

Only mystery to me is why you don't produce more of this sort of music.

Richard

Thank you, Richard. Most of the music I have written over the past ten years has been for films, videos or albums - and most of the commissioned music was for churches. Things that I write for myself tends to be similar in nature to Leviathan - dark, moody - sometimes downright Gothic in nature. Usually the reactions to what I want to write is a bit on the negative side, so I don't share it as much.

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Only mystery to me is why you don't produce more of this sort of music.

Richard

Tom,

Yes they do evoke a different response as far as what I imagine. It's sort of soundtrack like but they do also stand on their own. Mystery 1 feels more like isolation and strong emotions and Mystery 2, to me seems, to be frightened and running away from that. It's as if Poe had been a composer.

I know there isn't much of a market for "dark music" but I think it's well worth persuing.

Phil

Go Back to forum