• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: COMB2 and Finale 2012

Share/Bookmark

COMB2 and Finale 2012

Simply put: I want to create a new score with the "document setup wizard" but when the 2nd step comes to choose instruments, none of the COMB2 instruments are in the list. I want Tenor Horns. Where are the Tenor horns? I have updated and installed everything possible. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!
    Tim

Finale 2012 and Garritan COMB2

Re: COMB2 and Finale 2012

Quote Originally Posted by tlcinc View Post
    Simply put: I want to create a new score with the "document setup wizard" but when the 2nd step comes to choose instruments, none of the COMB2 instruments are in the list. I want Tenor Horns. Where are the Tenor horns? I have updated and installed everything possible. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!
    Tim

Finale 2012 and Garritan COMB2
    Hi Tim!

Unfortunately, you can no longer do what you want to do. MakeMusic, in their infinite wisdom, changed that with Finale 2012. You could do that with Finale 2011. In fact, I will sometimes start a new project in 2011 just so I can do what you want to do. Your only other option (saying you don't have Finale 2011), is to create a project through the setup wizard (and curse MakeMusic for making you do this). Then press ctrl k to open up the score manager and under "device" clear everything out where it says Garritan Instruments for Finale. Then pick Aria player for each of the instruments you need. THEN you'll have to go into Aria Player and pick the individual instruments (Flute 1, for example) for each of the needed instruments.

We've all had to deal with this craziness from MakeMusic. We don't know why they changed it like they did (something to do with streamlining the process, whatever the hell that means).

Wish I could give you better news. I hope this helps.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

I just tried to use COMB in Finale 25. I went the default document route and it worked fine - including listing the tenor horns. While it does not address the template issue, it does work and works well.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I just tried to use COMB in Finale 25. I went the default document route and it worked fine - including listing the tenor horns. While it does not address the template issue, it does work and works well.

Tom
    I agree with you Tom, it does work. What I was trying to get across with the older version of Finale 2011 was you didn't have to go through extra steps when doing the old setup wizard to automatically choose the Comb or JABB or any of the other Garritan libraries like you do now.

You do the document setup wizard as we have always done:

Then you have a different "drop-down" menu from what we have in the newer version:

Here in the Instrument Set you can choose from any of the Garritan libraries you need. For example, the Concert and Marching Band Library that Tim wanted to use is right there to pick from:

Then you can clearly pick the right instruments you need from COMB:

Whereas now you no longer have this option:

Yes, you can select from Marching Band and pick the instruments you need:

But when you go to Score Manager, you are stuck with Garritan Instruments for Finale and not Aria Player. You then have to change everything to Aria Player or Aria Player (Multi) if you want, for example, GPO5 or COMB or JABB:

Just seems like an extra amount of work than it needs to be. Honestly, for myself, I don't use as many of the Garritan libraries as I once did. I still use them, but in addition, I use EastWest libraries and several I've purchased for Kontakt. Still, when I work on my contribution for the upcoming Christmas CD, I will start out with Finale 2011 since I need to use just Garritan instruments and then open it up in Finale 25.

I hope this all makes sense.

Gary

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Gary,

Thanks for the detailed information and explanation. Not being a fan of templates, I misunderstood where you were having problems.

I noticed that you said you are using EW libraries. I have tried to use them as well (I prefer their brass and percussion to Garritan, but much prefer Garritan strings over EW)

I have never been able to get the articulations or dynamics to work on EQ libraries in Finale. What solution did you come up with for that?

Tom

Gary,

Thanks for the detailed information and explanation. Not being a fan of templates, I misunderstood where you were having problems.

I noticed that you said you are using EW libraries. I have tried to use them as well (I prefer their brass and percussion to Garritan, but much prefer Garritan strings over EW)

I have never been able to get the articulations or dynamics to work on EQ libraries in Finale. What solution did you come up with for that?

Tom
    Hi Tom,

That's always been a problem for me, too. I've never quite figured out how to change Human Playback from the Garritan settings to EW. I know there's a way, but I just can't get it to work. My biggest worry with working in Human Playback is messing up the settings so badly nothing works right. Wish someone would do a video on how to change those settings. I'm a visual person and it helps me better than just someone saying "click this then change that, etc." Most often I end up having two versions of a Finale file in order to make it (sort of) work: one just for playback since dynamics, for example, never work quite right (I can hear the file play back reasonably the way I want to hear them); then another one for print only. Maybe I need to finally do more research on how to make HP work with EW as well as with Kontakt.

So much to do, so little time, eh?

Gary

I have found a few companies that are selling HP templates for using EW libraries in Sibelius at around $99 per library. But all efforts to contact them has been futile. One company advertises that it will create a personalized template for any library EW puts out. I sent them e-mail and then snail mail to see if they would do the same thing for Finale. No response.

Finale told me it is a tedious but simple process to control EW libraries. I asked them where and how to start the process and they too stopped responding. EW did respond - that their libraries work fine in any professional notation software. Obviously they had no idea what else to say.

*sigh*

I have found a few companies that are selling HP templates for using EW libraries in Sibelius at around $99 per library. But all efforts to contact them has been futile. One company advertises that it will create a personalized template for any library EW puts out. I sent them e-mail and then snail mail to see if they would do the same thing for Finale. No response.

Finale told me it is a tedious but simple process to control EW libraries. I asked them where and how to start the process and they too stopped responding. EW did respond - that their libraries work fine in any professional notation software. Obviously they had no idea what else to say.

*sigh*
    Well, I just posted a comment at the Finale website and also one directly to Make Music. We'll see if I hear anything from them. If I do and it's what you and I both need, I'll be sure to pass it on to you Tom.

Gary

I am not into Finale, don't ever expect to be, this is simply to express my admiration to you Gary, for your willingness to help, generously giving your work for the "needy". You should be an example for all of us.

Ted

Bless you.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    Well, I just posted a comment at the Finale website and also one directly to Make Music. We'll see if I hear anything from them. If I do and it's what you and I both need, I'll be sure to pass it on to you Tom.

Gary

Go Back to forum