• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mystery 1

Share/Bookmark

Mystery 1

Sometimes an idea comes with no real ending in mind. I woke up from a nap about an hour ago and thought I should put this down on "paper" before I forgot it. It was complete to the point that all I had to do was write it down. Perhaps it will fit into an operetta I've been working on, perhaps a Halloween piece - I really don't know. Any opinions or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

https://app.box.com/s/zodu2z7e7rlhojhzv3jef45n5sgt8sgi

It is for extended string ensemble (2 violins, 2 violas, one cello and 2 horns.

Here is the second development. I used several suggestions you have all made.

The Last Leviathan

https://app.box.com/s/dkhck0xtbtp4jkbowan2m4spgh8zlpp5

This version is for string orchestra, flute, oboe, Base Clarinet, Contra Base Clarinet, English Horn, and French Horn

Program note: The last leviathan surfaces, takes a last look at the world he only barely remembers and, with a single moan, sinks forever back into the depths.

Re: Mystery 1

Very nice. Set a definite mood.

In my usual ignorance, I do not know what it means "extended string ensemble". I like Mystery 1.\, especially from about midway on. The first part for me suffering from way too much vibrato. The progression of this first part would be to me spectacular with less vibrato. Would be great Halloween background too.

Ted

Maybe Halloween as in The Day Of The Dead? A soul(s) returns to say hello or maybe more.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    In my usual ignorance, I do not know what it means "extended string ensemble". I like Mystery 1.\, especially from about midway on. The first part for me suffering from way too much vibrato. The progression of this first part would be to me spectacular with less vibrato. Would be great Halloween background too.

Ted
    The term extended ensemble was often used in our orchestration classes to indicate doubled and separate lines for the same instrument. In this case two independent viola parts. It also refers to the addition of the horns - again two independent lines. Pretty much in this case is telling the performing group to expect hiring additional musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Maybe Halloween as in The Day Of The Dead? A soul(s) returns to say hello or maybe more.

Phil
    Thank you, Phil. I had initially opted for a minimalist approach to this, but I now think a much broader sound is needed. Especially by including woodwinds. This afternoon I listened through Menotti's The Medium. Again my idea for this little snippet of music changed. I will write a few more lines down and listen to where it tells me it wants to go.

Emotional and pretty. I feel the mystery sounds from the depth of the ocean where now and then a remarkable creature passes by.
    So good to start the day with this inspirational music.

Kjell

Thank you, Kjell.

It has been quite a while since I last just started a piece of music with no particular purpose. I thought it would be fun to see what I could come up with using simple triads. I do see your point about the ocean. That may be an interesting approach. I'll do a little work on it today and post it. Never know when someone as your self will hit upon a great idea.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by kjelleman View Post
    Emotional and pretty. I feel the mystery sounds from the depth of the ocean where now and then a remarkable creature passes by.
    So good to start the day with this inspirational music.

Kjell

Tom,

I think it is not only mysterious, but also dramatic and could fit some dramatic episode.

The triads give it a really heavy sensation of deep sadness or of having experienced
    a great difficulty or of one to come...

~ Yudit ~

Wow - thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    Tom,

I think it is not only mysterious, but also dramatic and could fit some dramatic episode.

The triads give it a really heavy sensation of deep sadness or of having experienced
    a great difficulty or of one to come...

~ Yudit ~

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast