• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Iturrioz Connection

Share/Bookmark

The Iturrioz Connection

Finally Completed, The Iturioz Connection. About 41 minutes of energetic piano, freely based on Cuban dance rhythms. Parts of it haave probably been uploaded under temporary names beffore it was complete enough for me to show the music to Antonio and get his approval of the name. Nr. 3 has not been seen nor heard by anyone, not even Antonio, who will hear it when he returns from Italy next week, where I think he is presenting a series of master classes. These audio file are on Box Net for a while. When the scores are ready for viewing, the location will probably change.

Not related, but I am somewhat elated that for the first time in my life,I have a drivers license that does not require corrective lenses while driving! I have a really good ophthalmologist who performed cataract surgery on both eyes, and is treating macular degeneration on one eye. I now need to wear glasses for reading or close work.I had been wearing glasses for 84 years, and it is a relief to shed them.

I could not create more than one link on this page, so here they are, the hard way.

Richard

The Iturrioz Connection Nr 1 (12 min)
    Capriccio Cubano
    https://app.box.com/s/ng7cuhyrhd020dnorka0gu0ezd45rol2

The Iturrioz Connection Nr 2 13 min)
    Cuban Sonata
    https://app.box.com/s/9h6yhh9e2cb4pmetq61jcbyn0tr85v20

The Iturrioz Connection Nr 3 (6 Min)
    Bambamboula
    https://app.box.com/s/ppw19rzv197xoo38vm7j9l4lfd1p9bpb

The Iturrioz Connection Nr 4 (10 min)
    Caribbean Caprice
    https://app.box.com/s/g0haeoo4hdum2mltra70o3ycf1qc7bvi

Re: The Iturrioz Connection

Hi Richard,
    I listened to the first one and intend to listen more later.
    I think it is an impressive composition for piano. I wonder which musical theory you use for the atonal part, it sounds interesting. You certainly achieve a unique personal style.
    Well done.

Kjell

Quote Originally Posted by kjelleman View Post
    Hi Richard,
    I listened to the first one and intend to listen more later.
    I think it is an impressive composition for piano. I wonder which musical theory you use for the atonal part, it sounds interesting. You certainly achieve a unique personal style.
    Well done.

Kjell
    Well, thank you for your time and remarks. Your question caused me some serious pondering. First answer, nobody. to blame but myself except maybe Walter Piston's statment that the rules came from practice. That os what really opened my eyes and ears. From then on, I composed as seemed good to me. Later reinforcement came from Paul Hindemith and Duke Ellington, who said substantially the same thing. Deems Tayloor was helpful when he wrote that you are on your way when people hear your music and say, oh, that must be by --.
    I should add that I had somne years as a performing musician befor I began composing, and I admit to a few real garbage compositions, most of which are happily lost. My first teacher was my mother. My last teacher was a Julliard grad, which did not last long because she said there was nothing she could teach me. So I listened to mountains recordings, wnet to many concerts, spent much time in cocktail lounges in San Francisco, until I finally realized that I could outperform all the pianists but one, and from him I learned much. After 25 years or more, I gained enough confidence to begin composing. During that time, I also did plenty of piano and organ performing, and a bit of brass.

Now I write as I please, but the techniques which I use would probably be recognized by J.S. Bach. My friend Antonio, for whom this work was named, says there is a lot of Bach in my work. That is a mountain of verbiage, and I wonder if I hava answered your question.

Thanks for the short history of Richard. It is very interesting and educational too. If you recall it is not only your friend Antonio but this friend also remarked several times that there is a connection between you and JSB, your techniques
    and brain works closely.
    Congratulation for the music and your surgery, I could understand your happiness. I had mine 4 years ago, and since my left eye is blind, thanks to the glorious Soviet army, it was a risk to get it done on my right, if it would have gone wrong, I would have been totally blind, so it was a great relief when I was able to see.
    All the best wishes
    Ted

Well, Ted, I had the cataract procedures done probably about the same time as you. The macular degeneration treatment followed, and is ongoing, probably forever forever, or until I die, which in my case is the same thing. But this was the first time since the surgery that my driver license was due for renewal.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, thank you for your time and remarks. Your question caused me some serious pondering. First answer, nobody. to blame but myself except maybe Walter Piston's statment that the rules came from practice. That os what really opened my eyes and ears. From then on, I composed as seemed good to me. Later reinforcement came from Paul Hindemith and Duke Ellington, who said substantially the same thing. Deems Tayloor was helpful when he wrote that you are on your way when people hear your music and say, oh, that must be by --.
    I should add that I had somne years as a performing musician befor I began composing, and I admit to a few real garbage compositions, most of which are happily lost. My first teacher was my mother. My last teacher was a Julliard grad, which did not last long because she said there was nothing she could teach me. So I listened to mountains recordings, wnet to many concerts, spent much time in cocktail lounges in San Francisco, until I finally realized that I could outperform all the pianists but one, and from him I learned much. After 25 years or more, I gained enough confidence to begin composing. During that time, I also did plenty of piano and organ performing, and a bit of brass.

Now I write as I please, but the techniques which I use would probably be recognized by J.S. Bach. My friend Antonio, for whom this work was named, says there is a lot of Bach in my work. That is a mountain of verbiage, and I wonder if I hava answered your question.
    Thank you for this wonderful and interesting story about your background as a musician and how you developed towards the composition.
    Kjell

I listened to the first one a few times Richard. A lot of outpouring of creative energy in it. I'm guessing much of it requires a cross hands playing technique.

Phil

Not much, but it does require some creative fingering.

Richard

Go Back to forum