• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bach in Cuba

Share/Bookmark

Bach in Cuba

Original title, Bamboula Y Otres. Renamed because it is more descriptive of my thoughts as I composed it.

The piece uses a variety of Cuban rhythms, primarily Bamboula, but also cinquillo and tresillo.

It is difficult, but playable, but not by me! Some unorthodox pedaling might be necessary. The rhythms conspire to present the illusion of a much faster tempo. The tempo can be reduced a bit, but not much. If 32 ft stops are used, they may not be able to cope with the tempo. However, many organs use electronic sounds for their 32 ft stops, most recently, Church of the Incarnation in Santa Rosa. There is also a variety of electronic organs which are quite good. My favorite is the Allen. When I first played an Allen, in 1955 or thereabouts, I was much impressed by the quality. So was my mother, who was also impressed by my performance. She did not know that I could play the organ!

Expression marks are limited to encourage it to be played as felt by the performer. Just stay within the few specified parameters.

Registration can be as free as you like, as long as the parts are all distinctly heard. My preferences is generally for mostly strident and power laden pipes.

Richard

Bach in Cuba

Re: Bach in Cuba

Great tune, Richard. Very exciting since there are so many new things, at least for me.
    Maybe the listener could need need a variation in dynamics or tempo somewhere during the play. However, I can see the the point in keeping the style since it mesmerizes the listener.
    Thank you for sharing.

Kjell

Re: Bach in Cubaught

Challenging music to listen to as usual Richard. I'm not familiar with specific Cuban rythmns but I do hear them threaded thought out though out this organ music.

It difficult to experience the full effect listening with earphones or speakers. I wish I lived closer to a cathedral. I avoid the I5 corridor north past Olympia like the plague these days.

Phil

My high school was ran by the Piarist Fathers, a teaching order, and I played the organ in the church attached to the school, later I also conducted the choir. At one point kids dared me if I can introduce some crazy music, and I agreed to play ( I thought well hidden ) the glow-worm melody. One of the priests noticed and I got a note to my Father, who punished me for it. Your piece, unusual for a church organist, reminded me of the above. The difference is your incredible skill which I did not have.
    Great piece, thanks....

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    My high school was ran by the Piarist Fathers, a teaching order, and I played the organ in the church attached to the school, later I also conducted the choir. At one point kids dared me if I can introduce some crazy music, and I agreed to play ( I thought well hidden ) the glow-worm melody. One of the priests noticed and I got a note to my Father, who punished me for it. Your piece, unusual for a church organist, reminded me of the above. The difference is your incredible skill which I did not have.
    Great piece, thanks....

Ted
    Ummm - once during a Methodist service the minister tripped going down the altar to deliver communion. As he recovered his poise I snuck in the theme from Tubular Bells on an inner part. It was suggested I might want to transfer to the Lutheran church.

Go Back to forum