• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Orchestral Americana

Share/Bookmark

Orchestral Americana

Here is a piece I put together. I composed it around a theme I did for a production of "The Boxcar Children" I did about 8 years ago.

Give it a listen. Hope you enjoy it.

https://soundcloud.com/royced57/orch...children-theme

Re: Orchestral Americana

Very nicely done, subtle and moving. You might consider submitting this for school orchestra publication.

Tom

I find the mood melancholy and lonely, like someone walking around in deep thoughts...
    It is very ably to create these emotions with music and I appreciate it.

Kjell

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

A fantastic piece with so many good musical ideas. I like the passage around 8' very much.

Thanks for sharing!
    Max

Re: Orchestral Americana,

It sounds like much work went into this music. It has an Americana feel to it and I think it quite successfully tells it's own story. Pretty impressive!

I wasn't familiar with the Boxcar Children series or I have forgotten, so I read up on it on Wiki. Like the characters in Peter Pan I guess they, for the most part, do all right on their own without parents. I wonder if the grandfather maybe has a religious meaning.

Phil

Thank you Max and Phil.

I did spend quite a bit of time and effort on this. I started work in March and was satisfied with this first release - yes, I'll still do some tightening up - a couple of weeks ago.

For what it's worth, I do all of my composition using Sonar and VSTs, in this case GPO 5. I keep the time signatures and keys straight as best I can and clean up notation using the "piano roll" feature. How this would transfer to true notation, I'm not sure.

I have a full time career that is in no way related to music composition, so all of this is done in my spare time as a hobbyist.

It is great fun and very fulfilling and I really appreciate the feedback from you all.

Thanks again.

Royce

Someone just quoted someone that you made it as a composer if people will say "this must have been done by".
    So, listening three times, and I am sure you know I am not implying any imitation on your part, ( because, you are a very unique talent), but your handling of your ideas, even your orchestration reminds me one of the two favored American composer Copland. Maybe it is because I connect American music with Copland.
    Anyhow, GREAT orchestration, GREAT handling of a bouquet of GREAT melodies, and all this while I have no idea what boxcar kids were.
    I just wrote to Richard about his JSB style, now I am mentioning Copland to you, I just hope you two take my comments as high compliment on your work, nothing else. Please go on. and let us hear more Royce...

Ted

Ted. Thank you very much. I consider your response high praise indeed. And, you are absolutely spot on. Copeland is my favorite American composer and his influence is undeniable in my work. I tried to make things my own by listening to the piece with a critical ear with a look to plagiarism. But I love his orchestration and harmonies and... well... there we have it.

P.S. - I sneaked in a bit of Holst too.

Thanks again for your time and feedback!

Royce

VERY GOOD!

You used the thematic approach well. I enjoyed your creation.

Thanks for sharing it with us. Let us hear more of your work.

Regards,

Larry Alexander

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast