• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bells

Share/Bookmark

Bells

This was originally mostly electronic but I have arranged it here for GPO 5 handbells, LASS strings, Soundiron choir and Cinesample's horn, bookended by synth sound.

Bells

Re: Bells

What a nice song with a beautiful theme and a novel and interesting instrumentation. I like how you build up the orchestration starting with a modest one developed towards a full orchestra with mighty background vocals (right?) and then returning to the simple arrangement and an excellent ending.
    Great work.

Kjell

Very nice bell writing. The melody is beautiful.

Tom

Hi Phil,

This piece proves that simple things can be so beautiful. Just a bell tune with a little orchestral addition has so much charm. Well done and thanks for sharing.
    Max

Phil:

Usually your work is at a higher level than what I still can understand fully. This is very much in my level of understanding, and I love it. As others commented, the melody is real nice and your orchestration is flawless.
    Thanks
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by kjelleman View Post
    What a nice song with a beautiful theme and a novel and interesting instrumentation. I like how you build up the orchestration starting with a modest one developed towards a full orchestra with mighty background vocals (right?) and then returning to the simple arrangement and an excellent ending.
    Great work.

Kjell
    Thanks for the nice comments Kjell.

Actually, I stayed with the same A sections for Vi-Vl-C- B but I did up the CC1 for some dynamics at the end of the section where the whole choir comes in. I originally tried using the full LASS Strings but they were too overpowering for the GPO bells. The beginning and ending idea may have been somewhat borrowed from Simon And Garfunkle's 1968 Bookends album although the closing bookend was more developed than the simple opening theme in their album.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Very nice bell writing. The melody is beautiful.

Tom
    Thanks Tom!

I'm glad I rearranged it for bells.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Phil,

This piece proves that simple things can be so beautiful. Just a bell tune with a little orchestral addition has so much charm. Well done and thanks for sharing.
    Max
    I'm glad you liked this one Max.

I'm by nature pretty stingy with notes I guess. I wouldn't want to run out of them.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Phil:

Usually your work is at a higher level than what I still can understand fully. This is very much in my level of understanding, and I love it. As others commented, the melody is real nice and your orchestration is flawless.
    Thanks
    Ted
    Good that this one worked for your musical appreciation Ted. I'm probably somewhat like you, at least when I feel like a smoother ride, when it comes to enjoying music.

Thanks for commenting!

Phil

Go Back to forum